HPE OneView
1754368 Members
4214 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion

"HPE Oneview did not receive an expected event notification from the server..." after 5.50 upgrade

vx_it
Advisor

Re: "HPE Oneview did not receive an expected event notification from the server..." after

Hi DrDoc,

Thanks for coming back to share your solution - could you give me a little more info here, please?

Are you referring to ILO certificates or OneView certificates?

You added a rule in your firewall to allow HTTPS for each ILO IP? 

wildpanda_nz
Visitor

Re: "HPE Oneview did not receive an expected event notification from the server..." after

I've just checked our firewall logs and we're also seeing dropped 443 requests from the iLO to the Oneview appliance. We'll update our firewall to allow those requests and confirm that it fixes the issue - that might take a few days due to change control.

I assume that the 5.5 release put in a new check to raise an event when the Oneview appliance picks up iLO alerts via outbound polling but never received the alert via an inbound push from the iLO itself?

DrDoc
Visitor

Hi vx_it,

for the certificates I'm referring to ssl certificates, for oneview and for ILOs (because https is used). Of course you can use the self-generated ones, but they have to be added as "trusted".

For the firewall: yes I've configured a rule which allows https (and some more) from the ILO back to OneView.
Best to check the Firewall ports required for HPE OneView on the help-page within your appliance.

https://<%yourOneview5.5%>/help/cic/en/index.html#s_security-open-ports-cic.html

cheers

Geoff Schunicht
HPE Pro

Hi Wildpanda_nz,

The change in OV 5.5 was to provide a new alert generated by OneView when it does not receive events POSTed by the iLO to OneView. OneView does generate a "test" event for this purpose and if that HTTPS REST event is not recieved in a timely manner you will see this.  As noted above the most common reason for this has been firewall configurations for TCP port 443 coming from the iLO to the OneView appliance. These events help inform OneView of changes on the server such as progress of a firmware update vs hardware alerts.

OneView uses SNMP traps for most HW alerts, these come in on UDP port 162. in most cases OneView is not polling for alerts, though there is a health validation poll every 20 minutes that gets a "high-level" status from the iLO.

I work for HPE.
Marcel_D
Advisor

Same Problem here, but I had the FW-Ports open.

Still shows me the Error. What did the Job for me, is doing a iLo-Reset and a Refresh of the iLo in OneView. But what now sometimes shows up, is a Warning: "Unable to fetch the firmware installation status from the server hardware."

It is not really satisfying to do this for ~110 iLo's even when you are able to Script it.

HeikoB

Same issue here. I can confirm, that "doing a iLo-Reset and a Refresh of the iLo in OneView" fixed it for me.

Fortunately only one of twenty servers was affected (all same Gen & firmware).

Admin_CPCPIPE

After upgrading to 5.5, the same error occurred. Restarting and refresh ILO helped me.

amirgilan
Advisor

Hi, I have a same issue after upgrading to 5.5 and Restarting ILO and refresh doesn't helped me.

Would it possible to explain more how this error apear? I've checked my firewall and all ports (Inbound and Outbound) are opens.

DanCernese
HPE Pro

This new message is reporting an existing latent issue in your environment.  It literally means the iLO RESTful API events are not making it back to OneView.  That can only mean either they're being lost/blocked or there's an issue in the iLO itself that is no longer sending events.   Without those events, the reported power state may be wrong, inventory updates, and other status is not getting to OneView.  In some configurations if an iLO was reset or modified directly, the OneView 'subscription' to it's events may have been disabled.  The reset and refresh actions recreate that subscription just in case.

In some customer environments, we discovered one direction was enabled by a firewall but the other direction was not (orthat the near 'end' of a network was configured correctly but the firewall on the other end was not).

inbound/outbound; TCP; https; 443

I am an HPE Employee
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Dennis314159
Occasional Visitor

I fixed my problem by implementing the firewall rules mention in article https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=mmr_kc-0113804.