2788 Online
108827 Solutions
New Discussion

'STAGE_UPDATE' for host 'FAILED' on HSM 'HPE OneView for VMware vCenter

Nico_L
Occasional Contributor

'STAGE_UPDATE' for host 'FAILED' on HSM 'HPE OneView for VMware vCenter

Hi,

we have vCenter 7.0.3 (Build 21784236) together with OneView for vCenter 11.4.0 and OneView 8.70.00-0486025.
In our Environment we have a cluster out of 6 hosts, 2x DL380 Gen10 Plus, 4x DL380 Gen10.

The 2x DL380 Gen10 Plus can be patched (Firmware/SPP) through the cluster image very well, but for all of the Gen10 hosts we get the error "'STAGE_UPDATE' for host 'FAILED' on HSM 'HPE OneView for VMware vCenter". 
Out of the Gen10 hosts we have two hosts on 7.0 U3n - 21930508 and two hosts on 7.0 U3so - 22348808. All with vendor addon installed and sut set to "AutoDeploy" like described here: vLCM Remediation Update Fails for Possibly Transient Reasons (vmware.com)

At this moment i can't find any solution for this problem and would appreciate any kind of help.

Kind regards,

Nico

5 REPLIES 5
heckenbichler2
Frequent Visitor

Re: 'STAGE_UPDATE' for host 'FAILED' on HSM 'HPE OneView for VMware vCenter

Hi,

We also seeing same issue with our DL 560 Gen 11 servers. So if someone can help, it would be very appreciated. In the meantime i am also talking with our HPE representetive so if I see any resolution, i will post it here.

Best Regards
Mustafa

MV3
HPE Pro

Re: 'STAGE_UPDATE' for host 'FAILED' on HSM 'HPE OneView for VMware vCenter

Hello,

We recommend that you continue collaborating with the HPE team and communicate both issues to them. 
They will be equipped to resolve both matters. Additionally , you may consider opening a new case specifically for the STAGE_UPDATE FAILED issue.

Cheers....

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
pirx
Valued Contributor

Betreff: 'STAGE_UPDATE' for host 'FAILED' on HSM 'HPE OneView for VMware vCenter

- what is the state of those failing hosts in OV, anything in the activity log there?

- what is the status of vLCM pre-check in cluster configuration (see screenshot)?

- are all server in monitored mode (no license) in OV or managed mode?

- which host profile and fw baseline is assigned to them in case you use managed mode

- anything usefull in /var/log/vmware/vmware-updatemgr/vum-server/hsm-service.log or most current vmware-vum-server-xxxx.log?

I'm not sure if/how updating a mixed cluster will work, even if it is same venodor and SPP but different generation. And it's probably also a good idea to update to OV4VC 11.5. At least if you are using monitored mode.

image.png

T_1_6
Regular Advisor

Betreff: 'STAGE_UPDATE' for host 'FAILED' on HSM 'HPE OneView for VMware vCenter

I gave up with all this in the end.

vLCM and Oneview is an utterly broken mess.

Spending millions on servers and support, should not result in this crap show.

I think we will move vendors shortly, we cannot put any more time and effort into things that the vendor themselves do not put time and effort into.

Back to scripted and manual firmware updates for us.

RenjuCR
HPE Pro

This issue is fixed in the latest version of OV4VC. Please upgrade to OV4VC 11.5 for a better experience.

I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo