1755383 Members
3813 Online
807 Solutions
New Discussion

Typical Deployment Scenarios

tirtul
Occasional Contributor

Typical Deployment Scenarios

I'm researching HPE OneView and trying to determine what are typcial deployment scenarios. 

In a enterprise with mulitple datacenters, would one virtual appliance be deployed per datacenter? Are there parent-child relationships with multiple OneView deployments?

3 REPLIES 3
feigenL
Respected Contributor

Re: Typical Deployment Scenarios

Hello, OneView  has two basic functions: To monitor or to manage.

If you only want to monitor your servers, you may only use 1 appliance, following the limits in regards to the maximun amount of devices.  For example, version 6.3 can monitor up to 1024 servers.

But if you want OneView to manage your devices, then it'll be better to have one appliance per datacenter.

And then, you have other option, OneView Global Dashboard, so all the OV appliances you may deploy will report into one central console, hence the name Global Dashboard.

Also, OV offers different "Partner Integrations" or plugins for VMware and Microsoft, such as:

HPE OneView for VMware vCenter (OV4VC)
HPE OneView for VMware vRealize Operations (OV4VROPS)
HPE OneView for VMware vRealize Orchestrator (OV4VRO)
HPE OneView for Microsoft System Center (OV4SC)
HPE OneView for Microsoft Azure Log Analytics (OV4ALA)

But it all depends on what exactly are you looking for from this appliance.

Regards.

Luis Feigenblatt
BradV
Esteemed Contributor

We have multiple geographically dispersed data centers.  We run three OneView instances with a few of the smaller datacenters reporting to the closest instance.  We run our systems in managed mode.  We also have a OneView global dashboard setup, but honestly I never use it.  Sure it is good for giving you an overall picture, but it can't really do anything.  You have to go to the controlling OneView instance to actually do something to that remote server.  I open a vnc session to a gui server at each datacenter where we have a OneView instance then bring up OneView in that vnc session.

I think the biggest thing that OneView gives us is uniformity within a datacenter among like server models.  That is, for example, we create a server profile template for all DL380 Gen10's in datacenter X.  It defines all of the BIOS and iLO settings and firmware bundle to apply to all DL380 Gen10's.  That way they are all set the same and we don't have to worry about anyone forgetting a setting or making a typo.

tirtul
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the replies.

I like the remote support functions as well as the ability to update/report on the firmware of servers in it.

I think I'll look at the one deployment per datacenter model and go on from there.