108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Updating Logical Interconnect from Logical Interconnect Group

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kerry Quillen
Regular Advisor

Updating Logical Interconnect from Logical Interconnect Group

Using Oneview 3.0, does updating Logical Interconnect from Logical Interconnect Group cause any disruptions?  I seem to recall reading somewhere that deleting a vlan would cause a downstream disruption but adding one does not.  I recently added one vlan and deleted another and now have the inconsistency warning. 

5 REPLIES 5
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Re: Updating Logical Interconnect from Logical Interconnect Group

If you have not unprovisioned the Ethernet Network you plan to delete from your hosts, yes you could cause an outage.  However, if it is no longer in use, then no.

Although, to be 100% certain, did you upgrade your appliance from a prior release that was not 2.00.07 to 3.00?  There is an edge case where if you upgraded from say 2.00.02 or older straight to 3.00.05, and performed either adding or removing a VLAN would cause the Logcial Interconnect to be reprovisioned, causing an outage.  This was due to the Uplink Sets being renamed to a unique value that should not have.  You can easily see this if your Uplink Sets within your Logical Interconnect Group(s) have an "_(Number)".  If you do, simply remove the "_(number)" value from the Uplink Sets and proceed as normal.

If you had deployed a new 3.00 appliance, you will not run into the scenario above.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Kerry Quillen
Regular Advisor

I can't be 100% certain but I think I upgraded to my current 3.00.07 from 2.00.08.

Not sure I understand what you mean by "Uplink Sets being renamed to a unique value that should not have".  My uplink sets in my LIG have had same names since day 1 - they've never been renamed.  However, they do have underscores in the names:  UplinkSet_FAB-1, UplinSet_SUS-A, etc.

Kerry Quillen
Regular Advisor

So based on my response, I should be able to proceed with no disruptions, correct?

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

The underscores I was talking about was strictly an appended part of the name.  For instance, you could have had an Uplink Set named "UplinkSetA".  In the 2.00.02 release, we would have renamed that to "UplinkSetA_1".  That would cause a mismatch of the Uplink Set within the Logical Interconnect Group and the actual Logical Interconnect configuration.  Since you don't have that condition, you should be able to update the LI from Group without an outage.  I say should because if you haven't removed the Ethernet Network from your Server Profiles that you are removing from your Uplink Set(s), you would cause an outage for that network and any resources still assigned to that network.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Kerry Quillen
Regular Advisor
Solution

Problem solved.  Turns out I had acidentally marked one of my vlans as native in the LIG.  It was not marked as such on the interconnects themselves.  Clearing that check box cleared the inconsistency warnings.  Thanks.