3550 Online
108837 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HPE Primera Adaptive FlashCache

ledvan
Frequent Advisor

HPE Primera Adaptive FlashCache

Hi guys,

we are using a primera C600 , with combination of SSD, FC and NL-sas drives. We would like to enable AFC, but when we try to enable AFC , it displays Flash cache is not present. i have used licenseshow command to check the available features , the AFC is in the available features, but still we can not use it. does anyone have any clue?

regards,

LB.

7 REPLIES 7
AnilKT
HPE Pro

Hi ledvan,

The Adaptive Flash Cache feature uses space from SSDs to deliver frequently accessed data at greater speed and reduces the latency for read-intensive workloads

HPE Primera utilizes advanced analytics and machine learning algorithms to analyze data access patterns and make intelligent predictions about future data usage. This helps the system to proactively move data to the most suitable storage tier, optimizing performance and cost efficiency.

To answer your question, you may not need to manually configure the Adaptive Flash Cache on HPE Primera C600 as it is already taken care by the HPE Primera OS.

Kindly revert for further queries.

Hope this helps.!

Regards

Anil

I work for HPE.
Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise.

Accept or Kudo

ledvan
Frequent Advisor

@AnilKT  I mean no offense, with all due Respect, but this seems like Sale/Marketing type of reply. Hpe Primera has already disable Adaptive optimization(Auto-tiering). each type of Drives will be a seperate CPG, so no data-movement between each tier. i dont understand what does:
"HPE Primera utilizes advanced analytics and machine learning algorithms to analyze data access patterns and make intelligent predictions about future data usage. This helps the system to proactively move data to the most suitable storage tier, optimizing performance and cost efficiency."
has to do with AFC. The AFC would have been a extension to our cache, to be utilized for RANDOM READs. Moreover, considering the advance features of HPE primera OS(mentioned above by you) could have gained even more from AFC. With all that being said. when i use the licenseshow command, the AFC is licensed and among the available features, Even in the SSMC the feature exist, but when i try to enable it, it gives out an error(meaning manual configuration is not possible).
regards,
LB.

Satish04
HPE Pro

Hi ledvan,

It is not possible to create Adaptive Flash Cache (AFC) in HPE Primera C600 systems.
AFC is a feature available in certain HPE 3PAR models, but it is not supported in the HPE Primera C600 storage system.

HPE Primera C600 storage systems use a different architecture and storage optimization mechanisms compared to HPE 3PAR systems.
While HPE Primera offers advanced data reduction and performance capabilities, it does not include AFC as a feature.

If you are looking to optimize performance in your HPE Primera C600 system, you can explore other features and configurations available for HPE Primera, such as Fast Class and Quality of Service (QoS),
which allow you to prioritize and allocate resources based on your workload requirements.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Satish

I work for HPE.
Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise.

Accept or Kudo

ledvan
Frequent Advisor

@Satish04 

thanks for yor comments. I understand the QOS perfectly, it does not and can not replace AFC(SSD Caching) , now im not trying to compare Primera to 3par,  i understand Primera use different architecture , although even in the the dashboard of a Primera UI it is said 3par c600 , im expecting rational/technical feedback/reply:

1. i can not find any official Document by HPE that They have removed AFC from Primera or no loger support(could you share with me if there is any)?

2. the output of the licenseshow command shows AFC as an available feature on Primera C600, even i can see the AFC in the SSMC , i can even try to configure it but i recieve an error, now im confused its available as a licensed feature but then again i can not configure it or its not supportable?!!!

regards,

LB.

Satish04
HPE Pro

Hi ledvan,

As per my knowledge, there is no official documentation stating that Adaptive Flash Cache (AFC) is removed or no longer supported in HPE Primera.
When I was trying to configure AFC on the HPE Primera C600 series system, I received an error message saying that "Flash cache is not supported on this system".

AFC.PNG

It is recommended to contact HPE Tech support for further information on this issue.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Satish

I work for HPE.

Accept or Kudo

ledvan
Frequent Advisor

@Satish04 

i recieve the same error, did you contact the HPE Support for this, or you did not find it necessary? do you have the same issue with AO, it seems afte update from 4.2 the AO is not available on Primera Systems, are you using AO?

regards,

LB.

Satish04
HPE Pro

Hi ledvan,

Please reach out to HPE Tech Support for all your queries regarding this issue.

Regards,

Satish

I work for HPE.

Accept or Kudo