1752463 Members
5712 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Host Option change after upgrade

bbelew
Advisor

Host Option change after upgrade

We are in the process of upgrading from 3.7.8 to 3.7.9 and on some of my hosts after the upgrade completes I get the message of SimpliVity OmniStack upgrade requires a host reboot to apply ESXi settings.  

It's weird in that it's not showing on all of my hosts.  I've looked through the vmware events and tasks but can't see what option is actually changing.  Does anyone know?Simplivity Message.png

3 REPLIES 3
dhooley
HPE Pro

Re: Host Option change after upgrade

An ESXi reboot is required to apply ESXi upgrade settings. However we do have an issue where the upgrade of ESXi may hang at around 90% in upgrade manager requiring manual intervention to reboot the system.

- This alarm is seen in vCenter Web GUI correct?

- What is the current uptime of the system?

- What is the status of the upgrade in SimpliVity Upgrade Manager?

vmksummary.log or vpxa log would be a good indicator as to the reboot requirement for this, located in /var/log/ on the ESXi.

I work for HPEAccept or Kudo
bbelew
Advisor

That's what I'm confused about as I'm only upgrading the OVC.  I've previously patched vmware through VUM.

This message does appear in the Vcenter GUI and doesn't appear until after the OVC upgrade is complete.

I was hoping to not have to go through esxi logs but looks like i will have to.

DaveOb
HPE Pro

The OVC upgrade process can  change settings  on the ESXi such as queue depth, if these differ then the omptimal for that release, some of these changes will require a reboot.Some ESXi hosts may allready have these settings thus a reboot will not be needed others will require reboot and the Message will be flagged in VC.

I am an HPE employee
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo