HPE SimpliVity
1771308 Members
2191 Online
109005 Solutions
New Discussion

HPE Simplivity Questions about the difference between logical and physical capacities

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jh9
Occasional Contributor

HPE Simplivity Questions about the difference between logical and physical capacities

Hello, I have a question about the capavity calculation method of simplivity.

You are currently using a 3-node cluster SVT.

node1 and node3 are using 88% and 90% capacity, respectively, so the warning is floating.
* * dsv-balance-show command.... calculated used / Estimated remaining 
node1 : 88% / 1TB

node2 : 68% / 3.1 TB
node3 : 90% / 900GB

1.png

The total capacity available to the 3-node clutser datastore remains approximately 5TB.

2.png

If you create a new 4TB VM that is not deduplicated, the NFS datastore has 5TB - 4TB = 1TB of extra capacity, but node1, node2, and node3 have less than 4TB of extra physical capacity.

In terms of total logical capavity, vm generation is possible, but in terms of the physical capavity of the nodes, it seems impossible to generate.
In this case, how is the capacity calculated?

I looked through the documents and found that when the physical capacity of the node is over 97%, it goes into Read-Only mode and vm doesn't work... It's a very important issue for me.

Please understand that I used a translator.

1 REPLY 1
s-
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: HPE Simplivity Questions about the difference between logical and physical capacities

Hi @Jh9 

In SimpliVity Datastore is a logical construct . User can create multiple Datastore larger than the size of node and cluster.

If Simplivity Node has enough space to accommodate the VM, User should be able to create a VM or if Node doesn’t have space to accommodate the VM then VM creation/provisioning will fail. It doesn’t work like that user will be able to create the VM logical space but not in physical space.

Yes, once the Index-utilization or HDD/SDD utilization reach to 97%, OVC will not serve any IOPS until it has room to process the IOPS . System reserves some space for internal use which is used for moving the secondary copy and other internal operation because if system consume 100% space, support/customer will not be able to perform migration.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Jaipal

I am an HPE employee

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo