HPE SimpliVity
1756704 Members
2451 Online
108852 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Hpe Simplivity + Veeam + Storeonce : Best Practice ?

jfrobs
Frequent Advisor

Hpe Simplivity + Veeam + Storeonce : Best Practice ?

Hello,

After having looked at various HPE or Veeam documentations on this subject (which are not necessarily up to date).
I wonder what is ideal for the backup of simplivity.

For the HP home backup, it's simple. No question: we externalize on the StoreOnce via the integrated API and it's perfect.

But if you add a Veeam solution on top of that, obviously HPE doesn't or wouldn't recommend setting up a Veeam proxy on the Simplivity infrastructure. Veeam claims that in their test they had no problems.

Knowing that I already have a Veeam solution on a physical server in place, do you think, or do you have any feedback on a Veeam proxy on the Simplivity?
I have 2 simplivity 380 with only 4x10 GO fiber cards, I don't use the built-in 1gbits cards, we preferred to add an extra SFP card to make a Trunck LACP.

If you have any feedback I'm interested.

7 REPLIES 7
support_s
System Recommended

Query: Hpe Simplivity + Veeam + Storeonce : Best Practice ?

System recommended content:

1. Best Practices for Oracle Database on HPE 3PAR StoreServ Storage

2. StoreOnce Catalyst best practices

If the above information is helpful, then please click on "Thumbs Up/Kudo" icon.

Thank you for being a HPE community member.

Accept or Kudo

jfrobs
Frequent Advisor

Re: Query: Hpe Simplivity + Veeam + Storeonce : Best Practice ?

Oracle and StoreOnce Virtual App ??? I think the BOT responding is out of line. 

gustenar
HPE Pro

Hello @jfrobs 

Thank you for using HPE SimpliVity forums. 

I believe the following document could be of help to answer your query:

Veeam Backup & Replication on HPE SimpliVity 380 

Hope it helps. 

[Moderator edit: The above link is no longer valid. Please refer to https://support.hpe.com/]

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
jfrobs
Frequent Advisor

Hp does not recommend the Hot Add in its documentation. Veeam states that they have never had a problem with the Hot Add in their test with simplivity....

"The cat that bites the tail"

KyNguyen
Frequent Visitor

The link doesn't work.  Can you please post a new link?

Thanks

J-Philippe
Regular Advisor

I confirm, do not use hot add in Veeam with Virtual Proxies => Force NBD

If you have physical proxies in your Veeam Infrastructure no pb to use them with SimpliVity.

As the SimpliVity should be on a 10 Gb network, just use Veeam component with 10Gb network card.

Depending size, / number / location of the servers you have other settings to keep in mind but Veeam works with SimpliVity.

Major88
Advisor

Re: Hpe Simplivity + Veeam + Storeonce : Best Practice ?

Hello,

I've 2 clients installed with Veeam+Simplivity+Storeone

Veeam uses proxy at VM and proxy using hotadd method. Just i configured the Simplivity backup policy to back the VMs outside Veeam backup window.

For example, the Simplivity backups the VMs at 07H00AM-07H00PM and Veeam backups at 08H00PM-06H00AM.

And Veeam backups to Storeonce with Catalyst techno. The backup proxy is a Backup Gateway for the Storeonce.

Regards,

Major88