108827 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Migrate from a old vcente 7 to new vcenter 8

SOLVED
Go to solution
davide-bsm

Migrate from a old vcente 7 to new vcenter 8

Hi all guys

I should move my 4 nodes simplivity cluster from an old vcenter 7 to a new one vcenter 8.

I upgraded the OVC

2024-04-05 11_20_20-administrator-vsphere@omnicube-ip167-140_ ~.png

Before move the cluster in the new vcenter should I upgrade the old one from 7 to 8?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
shuff
Advisor

Re: Migrate from a old vcente 7 to new vcenter 8

Yes, you should upgrade your old vCenter from version 7 to version 8 before moving your 4 nodes SimpliVity cluster to the new vCenter. Here are the steps you should follow:

1. Upgrade your vCenter Server Appliance (VCSA) from VCSA 7.x to VCSA 8.x.
  2. Update the HPE SimpliVity Plug-in for vSphere Client on all vCenter Server Appliances.
  3. Update Arbiter, if already configured.
  4. Use SimpliVity Upgrade Manager to upgrade.

After upgrading, you can then move your SimpliVity cluster to the new vCenter. Remember to install the correct version of the SimpliVity Plug-in on the new vCenter Server and recreate the datacenters and clusters with the same names used in the old vCenter Server.

gustenar
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: Migrate from a old vcente 7 to new vcenter 8

Hello @davide-bsm 

You don't really have to upgrade your old vCenter to version 8 to be able to move your nodes to the new one. 

As mentioned in previous post, the new vCenter must have the HPE SimpliVity plugin installed for new version 5.0.0. In the new vCenter just make sure you have the same cluster configuration as in the old one (same amount of clusters and same names). 

Disconnect the hosts one by one from old vCenter and add them to the new one. Once this task is complete, follow instructions on this video to update the OmniStack controllers to work with the new vCenter. 

Here's a video on how to move the nodes to a new vCenter: 

HPE SimpliVity - Relocating HPE SimpliVity Hosts to a New vCenter Server 

Hope this helps. 

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo