1752590 Members
2708 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Shutdown virtual controller greyed out in vSphere

adidasnmotion
Advisor

Shutdown virtual controller greyed out in vSphere

I'm trying to shutdown one of our hosts to see if we can resolve an issue with the omnistack accelerator card showing an error status.  The HP maintenance guides state that a troubleshooting step when the accelerator card is not detected or the system cannot communicate with the card is to power off the host, wait 3 minutes for the system to fully shut down, then power the system back up.

I'm attempting to do this but in the vSphere web client when I right-click on the host and go to "All HPE Simplivity Actions.." the option "Shutdown virtual controller" is greyed out.  Why is it greyed out?  Should I ssh into the ovc and use the svt-shutdown-safe command? 

4 REPLIES 4
Elan08

Hi,

The option can be greyed out due to multiple reasons. In this scenario, it might be due to the OVC not responding properly due to impending issues.

Kindly shh to the OVC and execute the "svt-shutdown-safe" command to shutdown the OVC.

Kindly reach out to our support team if further assistance is required.

Thank you.

I work for HPE
adidasnmotion
Advisor

I haven't tried this yet but will today.  A question just occurred to me though, I don't have to worry about the ovc not coming back up if the accelerator card still isn't working when I boot everything back up, right?

gustenar
HPE Pro

The Accelerator card must be healthy for the OVC to come up properly. 

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
adidasnmotion
Advisor

Ah, well I'm glad I haven't tried this then.  I was only going to attempt this because the official simplivity Maintenance and Installation guide lists shutting down the host as a troubleshooting step when the accelerator card is not responding or not detected.  This is what I'm seeing when I look at the Accelerator card in vCenter:

Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 2.44.14 PM.png

Is there some other troubleshooting step I can perform myself to try and resolve this or at least a way for me to determine if this is an irreperable hardware failure?