108761 Solutions
New Discussion

Simplivity 380 Gen10 Fan Noise

SOLVED
Go to solution
bbelew
Advisor

Simplivity 380 Gen10 Fan Noise

We are currently deploying HPE Simplivity nodes to some new offices this year.  When we got them racked and turned on some of our offices complained that the 2 new nodes were really loud and then we noticed that the fans were constantly running around 60%.

Looking at the BIOS settings the Fan setting is set to Increased Cooling which makes the fans run higher.  Does anyone know if this setting has to be used instead of Optimal Cooling which makes the fans not run as loud?

10 REPLIES 10
DaveOb
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: Simplivity 380 Gen10 Fan Noise

Optimal Cooling may be used.anything other then optimal or increased may run the risk of overheating the accelerator card.

I am an HPE employee
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
sampiyonts
Frequent Advisor

Hello, You can try to restore bios settings via F9, It will be work,
TLaursen
Occasional Advisor

Hi There .... 

I have had several complains from customers about this - and the answer from HPE Support is that only "static high performance" / increased cooling mode is  supported - this because several incidents where the SImplivity accelator card has experienced hardware failures due to lack of cooling. i suggest that you find another way of decrease the noise such as noice isolation of server room etc. 

B.R - Thomas !

B0ris
Frequent Advisor

From Firmware that comes with OmniStack 3.7.8 and above, you get another option for cooling, that's called "Optimal Cooling" which reduces FAN noise and accelerates speed of FANs, whenever needed

TBPC

Where is this option?
DaveOb
HPE Pro

RBSU “Advanced Options” and “Fan and Thermal Options”

The optimal cooling option may be used in a SimpliVIity system,Do not choose any lower policy as this risks overheating the accelerator card and will result in a shutdown of the card.

I am an HPE employee
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
bbelew
Advisor

Thanks everyone.  Just FYI we have been using the Optimal Cooling option on all of our nodes the past 2 months without issue.  Also we were thanked by the noise reduction at some of our offices.

georg77
Occasional Visitor

Hi

Is there an official statment from HPE support that you can decrease the cooling level from increased to optimal for OmniStack 3.7.8 and above? We have OmniStack 3.7.10 installed. My last information is still that you lose guarantee if you set to anything else then increased cooling!

ICPMuenchen
Frequent Advisor

we are using it too, since we updated to 3.7.10 without any issues.

its really a big difference and now the datacenter is much less noisy.