New Discussion юеВ

Re: SimpliVity upgrade with availability zones

SOLVED
Go to solution
KRiggs
Occasional Visitor

SimpliVity upgrade with availability zones

Hi

Are there any additional considerations when upgrading a 4 node SimpliVity cluster that is stretched across two sites (2 nodes per site)? I assume that I would do 1 site at a time but is there anything else or no difference?

cheers

5 REPLIES 5
DaveOb
HPE Pro

There is no difference only one node of the 4 will be updated at a time and the VMs will need to regain HA sync before the upgrade proceeds to the next node. Upgrade manager is not aware of the zones it as it does not need to be.

I am an HPE employee
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
KRiggs
Occasional Visitor

Thanks Dave

Sorry - I didn't give you all the info. So the upgrade will be from 3.7.6 and we don't have DRS so I was planning to run Upgrade Manager but not select the cluster - I was going to select just a single node. I'll then manually vMotion all the vm's off that first node and upgrade just that node. I'll then manually vMotion the all vm's from the second node back onto the first node and upgrade the second node. I'll then vMotion all the vm's from the third node onto the second node and upgrade etc etc - until all the OVC's are upgraded. I'll then 'commit' the federation.

Is that the best\only way to upgrade when DRS is not available to allow UM to move the vm's around?

Also - I was including an ESXi update too hence all the moving of the vm's. I guess if I just do the OVC software then I don't need to move any VM's as OVC IP storage failover handles it - is that correct??

kind regards

Keir

DaveOb
HPE Pro

You can upgrade the Simplivity side using IP failover in that case on all 4 nodes without effecting the VMs

Simplivity UM leverages VMware DRS to move the VMs,In the absence of VMware DRS then you will have to do so manually.

Without VMware DRS enabled licenced  on the cluster you will need to manually evacuate the nodes individually and apply the ESXI and FW upgrade individaully via  Simplivity UM.

I am an HPE employee
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
KRiggs
Occasional Visitor

ok thanks

So is it generally better to split the OVC upgrade from the ESXi upgrade? and do these at different times? for example, run Upgrade Manager to just do the OVC upgrade and once that completes, run it again for the ESXi upgrade.

This will mean that the VM's aren't getting shifted between hosts at a time when both the OVC and  the ESXI version are different across hosts in the same cluster.

DaveOb
HPE Pro
Solution

It really does not make any difference fundementally the versions are compatible ,you only would end up doing muliple migrations.As you do not have DRS on the cluster I would just evacutate the ESXI of VMs and run UM against the node for OVC,ESXI and FW.

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo