New Discussion

Re: Upgrading large SimpliVity Federation

SOLVED
Go to solution
CadenLange
Regular Advisor

Upgrading large SimpliVity Federation

HI

I have a large federation with 16 clusters and a mix of SimpliVity software (4.0.1 and 4.1.0) which needs to be upgraded to the latest versions. There are some Gen9 and some Gen10 clusters and the upgrades will span over several days or even weeks.

Should each cluster be 'committed' immediately after each upgrade or is it best to leave the commit process until all the clusters have been upgraded so the entire federation is committed at the same time?

What is the downside\risk of not commiting an upgrade straight away?

many thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Mahesh202
HPE Pro

Hi CadenLange

I request you to watch the below video which helps you understand the step-by-step procedure for Upgrading HPE SimpliVity Version 4.0.1 to 4.1.0

Video Link: https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/videoDisplay?videoId=vtc00000250en_us

also, refer to the below link to the compatibility matrix.

HPE SimpliVity OmniStack Interoperability Guide: https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00117319en_us

Hope this helps.!!

Regards
Mahesh

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

CadenLange
Regular Advisor

@Mahesh202 

Thanks Mahesh

My question is specifically around when to commit the upgrade after an upgrade

Should it be done after each cluster or left until all 16 clusters (including the Gen9 clusters) have been upgraded??

We will not be upgrading all 16 clusters at the same time but will be dong them individually over a number of days\weeks

So the video shows that all clusters were upgraded before commiting (but there were only two clusters in the demo) Does that mean that with 16 clusters we also should wait for all 16 to be upgraded before commiting them? 

This is likely to mean that the first clusters to be upgraded are likely to be waiting to be commited for a week or so (whilst the remaining clusters are upgraded) before being committed - is there any risk in this?

thanks again

Mahesh202
HPE Pro
Solution

Hi CadenLange

The Upgrade can be done depending upon the version, please go through the below information.

Upgrade:
•  Upgrades from 3.7.10/3.7.10A and earlier require full federation commit.
•  If you are upgrading from 3.7.10/3.7.10A or earlier, you must first upgrade all clusters in the federation and only then commit the clusters. Upgrading and committing a subset of the clusters in the federation while leaving the remaining at 3.7.10/3.7.10A or earlier can create interoperability issues. To achieve the federation commit, perform the upgrade on all clusters and then commit the clusters.
•  Going forward from 3.7.10U1, cluster commit allows some clusters to stay at the current release while others are upgraded to a later release.
•  Upgrade of the vCenter/VCSA to 7.0 requires that the entire federation must first be upgraded to 4.1.0 or 4.1.0U1 and committed. customers on Gen9 should be on 4.1.0U1

As per the HPE SimpliVity OmniStack Interoperability Guide (Page-47) which was shared with you previously.

Hope this helps.!!

Regards
Mahesh

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Sunitha_Mod

Hello @CadenLange

We do see you have marked the reply as solved. We are happy to know the problem has been resolved. 

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
Accept or Kudo