HPE SimpliVity
1752633 Members
5834 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Upgrading To 4.0 From Previous Versions **Important Information Before Upgrading**

DeclanOR
Respected Contributor

Re: Upgrading To 4.0 From Previous Versions **Important Information Before Upgrading**

Hi @fahlis 

Here are the three upgrade videos which went live today:

Upgrade Part 1

Upgrade Part 2

Upgrade Part 3

Part 3 is the one that you will find most interesting and coincidental to this conversation I think.

Thanks,

DeclanOR

Accept or Kudo

fahlis
Frequent Advisor

@DeclanOR 

Great guides, I just watched them. Perhaps you can do guides for CLI upgrade also?

As I have had various problems with the upgrade manager that ended up in a support case and in the end CLI upgrade, I think it would be great to share that with others in a video.

Keep up the good work

Br / Tony

DeclanOR
Respected Contributor

Hi @fahlis 

Thanks for the positive feedback. CLI is another possible addition yes. Upgrade Manager has improved substantially throughout recent releases however, so hopefully the need to rely on Cli has equally reduced. Definitely a great suggestion, so lets see how things progress. Thanks for viewing the videos - I take it you noticed the empty cluster issue I hit while recording also!? 

Thanks,

DeclanOR

Accept or Kudo

fahlis
Frequent Advisor

Hi @DeclanOR 

Indeed I saw the issue with Empty cluster

Br / Tony

Kevin4
Advisor

I just did an upgrade from 3.7.7 to 4.0.1 that I had to get support involved because it failed thru the GUI and CLI.  After a few hours, and let support sleep on and get back to me the next day(VMs were still up). On the omnistack VM, there is .vcconfig file  The svssizeGB needs to be 108, mine was at 107 causing it to fail.   After that is changing that value and restarting svtfs on each one in the cluster that upgrade was able to successfully complete.  I thought I would share, as it might benifit someone else.

DeclanOR
Respected Contributor

Hi @Kevin4 

Thanks for sharing your experience.

This KB article describes the issue and resolution:  

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=sf000060684en_us

Thanks,

DeclanOR

Accept or Kudo

Jason-White
Occasional Advisor

In looking at the Matrix it looks like you can't get from 3.7.8 to 4.0 directly. The best I could find was to get to 3.7.9 then upgrade a second time to 4.0.

1. Upgrade Hardware to support 3.7.9

2. Upgrade Arbiter to the latest

3. Upgrade Oministack 3.7.9

4. Upgrade Manager from 3.7.9 to 4.0  (This will then upgrade firmware and Oministack to the latest versions)

5. Upgrade vCenter to the latest supported

6. Upgrade Plugin to the latest

7. Upgrade ESXi to the latest supported? 

This is what it looks like we would have to do in order to complete the upgrade to 4.0