HPE Synergy
1772798 Members
2603 Online
109025 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Can 12 blades run on 2 3000w power supplies? What do you think of this power config ?

foolforthecity
Occasional Contributor

Can 12 blades run on 2 3000w power supplies? What do you think of this power config ?

I have a power question for my Synergy 12000. 

Right now my chassis only has 6 gen 10+ blades, all on the upper row. Can I run those on 3 of my 6 3000w titanium power supplies? Or should I power all 6 power supplies? 

If I were to expand and install more Gen 10+ could a full frame run on 2 power supplies after it throttled down? (if left side PDU died)

I'm thinking of doing this power configuration due to a UPS limitation. (Temporary) 

All power supply locations can power all servers correct? It's not "top row power supplies only power top row servers" right?

12000power.png

2 REPLIES 2
TVVJ
HPE Pro

Re: Can 12 blades run on 2 3000w power supplies? What do you think of this power config?

Hello,

Please refer to section "Power Input Module and Power Supply Specifications" on page 25 of the HPE BladeSystem c7000 Enclosure's QuickSpecs for more information.

Regards,

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

PatrickLong
Trusted Contributor

Re: Can 12 blades run on 2 3000w power supplies? What do you think of this power config ?

I believe this topic was incorrectly moved to the BladeSystem forum by mods and should have remained in the Synergy forum , since OP @foolforthecity clearly stated this question was regarding Synergy 12000 frame power configuration?

Now to the topic at hand.  For Synergy frames it is definitely NOT a matter of  "top row power supplies only power top row servers".  In your image as drawn you would be running in "redundant power supply mode" where redundancy is achieved via protecting against individual or multiple power supply failures without regard to the backing circuit(s);.  The loss of the left side PDU in your drawing would result in all frame, shared infrastructure, and compute module power being derived only from the two 3000-watt power supplies connected to the right-side PDU.  Whether your chassis could continue running on just two 3000-watt power supplies depends greatly on the configuration of this Synergy frame and particularly the configuration of your six compute nodes, e.g. how fully populated the DIMM slots are, what is the TDP load rating of your procs, etc.  - but I think it would be quite likely given that if you were configured for Redundant power feed mode instead, that design allows for three power supplies to run an entirely populated chassis even with the highest power-load configuration possible in the event you lose one of your two power feed circuits.  I believe this is why the NEW Synergy power supply spec is 3000 watts whereas original/older Synergy frames came with 2650W power supplies.

Per this HPE document., the only way to know whether two 3000-watt PS's will sustain the frame FOR SURE is to create power estimates using either the HPE Synergy Planning Tool or the HPE Power Advisor. " For more information about the HPE Power Advisor or the HPE Synergy Planning Tool, see the Data Center Infrastructure Advisor page (https://dcia.itcs.hpe.com/). " << I couldn't get this link to work, but our VAR had it and did the calculations for us. 

IMO the best practice method to connect Synergy frames to two separate PDU circuits would be via redundant power feed mode in a 3+3 configuration. (1,2,4 on circuit A PDU and 3,5,6 on circuit B PDU)   If you have all six power supplies you could configure them as follows depending on what type of redundancy you are trying to achieve:

Redundant power supply mode:    1(A), 2(A), 3(A), 4(A), 5(A), and 6(A)
Redundant power feed mode:   1(A), 2(A), 3(B), 4(A), 5(B), and 6(B)