108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Creating a Linux Heartbeat network in Synergy

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dave_Thacker
Contributor

Creating a Linux Heartbeat network in Synergy

We have a few clustered applications that we are migrating into our Synergy environment.   Each cluster uses a private network on a specific VLAN.  The traffic is not routed, it's just pointed to specific IP addresses.   We tried to do something similar when we build our Synergy blades.   We created a new network for the cluster VLAN in the server profile template, and then attempted to create a new server profile.  We were blocked because there were no uplinks defined for the cluster network.    

How can we create a private network in the Synergy environment?

TIA

Dave

"Leveraging Synergy across all technology platforms!"--Scott Adams
5 REPLIES 5
Synergy-Master
HPE Pro

HPE OneView 4.0 onword private VLANs are supported in synergy.

Please refer page 40 for creating private network.

https://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-a00064085en_us-1.pdf

As it cluster, i am expecting other node will be on other frame. So uplink is required.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

DanRobinson
HPE Pro

Apologies for Synergy-Master's response as it's somewhat useless here.

When you define the LIG in Synergy, there is a spot for "Internal Networks"

You must assign the Heartbeat network to that section rather than creating a generic Uplink Set for it.

Keep in mind if this network needs to span across multiple Logical Enclosures, or span between a Synergy LE and some outside non Synergy box, then you would need the Heartbeat VLAN to have a proper uplink. You could still of course skip the L3 Gateway and make this subnet non routable.
Just saying keep L2 vs L3 in mind as you have both options.

Private Networking as mentioned in the other reply will actually BLOCK East/West communication and is a couson to Cisco PVLAN.  Which is not what I think you wanted.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Dave_Thacker
Contributor

Dan, 

Thanks for the response.  With your info I'm close to getting the configure I want.    I've configured a LIG that has an internal network.  The Internal network will use the cluster VLAN.   The internal network has no uplinks defined.   Will that prevent internal network traffic to move between frames inside a logical enclosure (north-south?) , but not outside of the logical enclosure?  (east-west?)  

Dave

DanRobinson
HPE Pro
Solution

Everything inside a single Logical Enclosure is considered 1 East/West domain.
So a Heartbeat network would be accessible to any blade in the same LE.

A Local Network however would not be accessible outside the LE (North/South), since it has no uplinks.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Dave_Thacker
Contributor

Dan, 

Good, I now understand the way the traffic flows withing the logical enclosure.   I'd like to verify that I am understanding the correct way to configure the LIG to achieve that. 

In order to allow the cluster traffic to get between two blades,  I've created an ethernet network named CLS45, and set the VLAN id to 45.     I have then added a internal network in the LIG, and added CLS45.   Internal networks don't get uplinks or downlinks, correct?

If I use the same server template profile, using the same LIG, to my two server cluster members, will the cluster traffic run through the internal network without uplinks or downlinks defined?  Am I missing any steps?

Thanks.  

Dave