1767171 Members
3318 Online
108959 Solutions
New Discussion

ESXi Host no internet

jonathnkleymann
Occasional Advisor

ESXi Host no internet

I own a c7000 system and I wanted to migrate over to Synergy.

I bought a 12000 Chassis and installed the following:

Storage:

D3940 with 12x 1tb hpe drives

Compute:

480 Gen9 Compute

1tb Ram

2x 1tb sas drives,

2x E5-2699 v4,

2x 3820C 10/20Gb CNA innstalled in Mezz 2 and 3

1x Smart Array P542D Controller Installed in Mezz 1

Interconnects:

Synergy 12Gb SAS Connection Module installed in ICM bay 1

Synergy 10Gb Pass-Thru Module installed in ICM bay 2

Virtual Connect SE 40Gb F8 Module for Synergy in ICM Bay 3

I have followed a setup and gone all the way through setting up the server profile and deploying VMware-ESXi-7.0.3-20036589-HPE-703.0.0.10.9.5.14-Aug2022-Synergy.iso.

I got the SAS working and i can see the mac of the vmnic0. I can even see the mac address show up on my Ubiquiti Network Manager. so my routers see it and everything but for some reason i cant ping or connect to the esxi host. The interconnect says it is linked to the compute and the L/A on the interconnects are flashing and so are the indicators on my Ubiquiti Aggregation switch but no net.

I have tried connecting from Dac QSFP+ to SFP+ on the aggregation switch. I have tried one indiviual connection with hp DAC adapter (720193-B21) that comes with the 10gb Pass thru with SFP+ to SFP+ to aggregation and straight to my 48 port with 4 sfp+ ports. And lastly i have tried DAC adapter (720193-B21) to SFP+ to RJ45 adapter straight into a regular 48 port switch. 

Yes I understand this is all outdated system. However I run a small time game server hosting for my community and im just trying to offer them better performance, attempting to convert to a 10+GB system and synergy seemed the way to go but im starting to feel I wasted my time and unless I can get this figured out probably not looking to update the synergy system,

10 REPLIES 10
jonathnkleymann
Occasional Advisor

Re: ESXi Host no internet

Any help will be amazing. I have been working on this trying to figure it out on my own for almost 6 months. i just need to get the internet part fixed and I can begin to move forward

support_s
System Recommended

Query: ESXi Host no internet

System recommended content:

1. DEPLOYING AND UPDATING VMWARE ESXI ON HPE SERVERS

Please click on "Thumbs Up/Kudo" icon to give a "Kudo".

Thank you for being a HPE valuable community member.

Accept or Kudo

jonathnkleymann
Occasional Advisor

Re: Query: ESXi Host no internet

i learned from this that the drivers need to be the same on both however i dont know a way to verify the verison of drivers that esxi is using and without a internet connection to the esxi host. i can use the tools its showing in the documentation

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Re: Query: ESXi Host no internet

A link status on from the interconnect to your Ubiquity switch isn't enough.  You need to define an Ethernet network resource and map it to 1 or more uplink ports from the Logical Interconnect.  Have you performed this step?  Do you also have the Ethernet network assigned to a Network Connection within the Server Profile resource?

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Rajaram02
HPE Pro

Hi Jonathn,

On ESXi host try below 

Press F2 and enter user credentials and hit Enter on keyboard. Select Test Management network from the options by using up-down arrow key in the keyboard and hit Enter. You will see screen like this. Here enter the IP address of one or more network components that you want to test.
If it can reach the gateway then it communicate to your network 
If not the server chassis / virtul connect profile needs to be checked.

I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Rajaram02
HPE Pro

Hi ,

Did you get chance to perform the steps to isolate the network issue?
Please update us.

I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
jonathnkleymann
Occasional Advisor

looking into these options now.

i i have done the management test before

this is in my server profile

Connections

ID Name Network Port Boot    

MGMT
ESXI-MGMT VLAN1131 Mezzanine 3:1-a Not bootable

Type Ethernet MAC address AA:9A:A7:10:00:04 (v) Requested virtual functions None Requested bandwidth 0.5 Gb/s Link aggregation group None

vMotion
ESXi-vMotion VLAN1132 Mezzanine 3:1-c Not bootable

Type Ethernet MAC address AA:9A:A7:10:00:05 (v) Requested virtual functions None Requested bandwidth 1 Gb/s Link aggregation group None

Prod
Prod-Set (network set) Mezzanine 3:1-d Not bootable

Type Ethernet MAC address AA:9A:A7:10:00:06 (v) Requested virtual functions None Requested bandwidth 2.5 Gb/s Link aggregation group None Isolated trunk No

Connections

ID Name Network Port Boot    

MGMT
ESXI-MGMT VLAN1131 Mezzanine 3:1-a Not bootable

Type Ethernet MAC address AA:9A:A7:10:00:04 (v) Requested virtual functions None Requested bandwidth 0.5 Gb/s Link aggregation group None

vMotion
ESXi-vMotion VLAN1132 Mezzanine 3:1-c Not bootable

Type Ethernet MAC address AA:9A:A7:10:00:05 (v) Requested virtual functions None Requested bandwidth 1 Gb/s Link aggregation group None

Prod
Prod-Set (network set) Mezzanine 3:1-d Not bootable

Type Ethernet MAC address AA:9A:A7:10:00:06 (v) Requested virtual functions None Requested bandwidth 2.5 Gb/s Link aggregation group None Isolated trunk No

Uplink Ports

Port Type State Speed (Gb/s) Utilization Uplink Set PortWWN Connector Type Connected To

Q1:1
    none Linkedunknown 10

none
    n/a
    QSFP+CR  

Q1:2
    Ethernet Linkedunknown 10

ESXi-MGMT
    n/a
    QSFP+CR  

Q1:3

ESXi-vMotion
    n/a
    QSFP+CR  

Q1:4

Prod
    n/a
    QSFP+CR

Downlink Ports

Port State Speed (Gb/s) Server Hardware Adapter Port Server Profile Utilization

1 Unlinked       none

2 Unlinked       none

3 Linked 20 MXQ95201YY, bay 3 Mezzanine 3:1 SY480Gen9VM

root@mort i sgam ingnetwork :~ ] esxcli network nic get -n vmnic0
    Advertised Auto Negot iat ion: true
    Advertised Link Modes: Auto, 20000BaseKR2/Full
    Auto Negot iat ion: true
    Cable Type: FIBRE
    Current Message Level: 0
    Driver Info:
    Bus Info: 0000:83:00:0
    Driver: qf le3
    Firmware Version: Storm: 7.13.20.0 MFW: 7.16.4
    Version: 1.4.35.0
    Link Detected: true
    Link Status: Up
    Name: vmnic0
    PHYAddress : 0
    Pause Autonegot iate: true
    Pause RX: true
    Pause TX: true
    Supported Ports: FIBRE
    Supports Auto Negotiation: true
    Supports Pause: true
    Supports Wakeon: true
    Transceiver: external
    Virtual Address: 00:50:56:5a:bd:5e
    Wakeon: MagicPacket (tm)
jonathnkleymann
Occasional Advisor

I got it working i had to drop back to a service pack from 2022. i was using a 2023 version.

jonathnkleymann
Occasional Advisor

correction the usb ethernet adaptr is working. i have not yet managed to get the connection from the vc 40gb se