Interconnect is Absent After Reset

SOLVED
Go to solution
Gaisu
Advisor

Interconnect is Absent After Reset

Hello, 

I've encountered a weird scenario and would like your thoughts on it:

we have one Frame setup with Both Gen9 and Gen10 Compute nodes, and one D3940 Module.

• -We've decided to add additional uplinks to increase bandwith, so we went up and added two addtional Network switches and connected them to both ICM of our frame ICM3 and ICM6. 
  • Once we finished portchannel configurations on the switches we noticed that all the ew uplinks are down from both ends, we tried to switch them off/off to see if something is stuck but no luck.
  • An idea came to mind to reset ICM6 and see if the new uplinks would work, that was a huge mistake, because once ICM6 went down OneView couldn't add it back properly.
  • We started getting errors about the ICM being Absent, unable to be managed, not seated properly, etc. every time we try to fix an issue we get a new one, ever sice we've been stuck in a cycle of errors.
  • We decided to add HPE support, its been 5 days with Level 2 and Level 3 (ERT) and still no idea whats happenning, even after replacing the module it still shows the same errors.

Currently OneView is showing the uplinks on ICM6 as down, yet on the network switch we can see them up. Its a production Frame with no window for downtime, so we are kinda stuck. 

I'd highly appreciate any thoughts and insights that could help us.

OV: 4.00

LE SPP: 2017 10 2017 12 Custom SPP

ICM: HPE VC SE 40Gb 

6 REPLIES 6
tech3d
HPE Pro

Re: Interconnect is Absent After Reset

Hi Gaisu,

Thanks for reaching out.

First of all you seem to have a setup with unsupported software versions.
> OneView 4.00 is already EOL.
Refer https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c05148671

> All 2017 SPPs are obsolete as of current date, and must be updated to any supported SPP as per OneView matrix.
Refer : https://techhub.hpe.com/us/en/enterprise/docs/index.aspx?doc=/eginfolib/synergy/sw_release_info/index.html

> All the required downloads are available from this url:
https://www.hpe.com/global/swpublishing/MTX-bcc9b4b0d36243e2b3bcb911aa

Note : There are multiple known issues with old software & firmware which have already been rectified in the latest releases. Trying to fix the issue having the outdated software and firmware will be challenging as these are already EOL.

Since you already have a support ticket open, we suggest that you discuss with the engineers involved about assisting you with software and firmware upgrade (with minimum downtime possible).

Also, ensure that you did try the following -
> Reboot OneView (before rebooting remove ICM6 from the frame & insert only when OneView is completely loaded back up).
> Insert the ICM that is in slot 6 in to any other empty slot to check the status. Try resetting it, keeping it in the different slot and once done, bring it back to slot 6.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Gaisu
Advisor

Hello Tech3d,

Thanks for your reply, we've already replaced ICM6 so I dont think ressting it to factory will change anything.

About rebooting the composer, will this have any affect on production? I understand its a management appliance but I didn't find a source that describe the affect of having it down.

tech3d
HPE Pro

Hi Gaisu,

Yes, the OneView software is just the management application which runs on the composers.

There is no impact to the servers functionality even if OneView isn't running. The only impact would be that without OneView functional. you cannot monitor the setup and you cannot make any changes to the settings.

I would advise that you create a backup of the OneView settings, download it to a local computer, and then perform a reboot.

Note : ensure that the non working VC module is removed before rebooting OneView, and re-inserted only after the OneView is loaded up completely. (Rebooting takes about 30-45mins approx)

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Gaisu
Advisor
Solution

Hello Tech3d,

Thanks for your reply, I'm tried your suggestion to reboot the composer but it didnt work, L3 support solved the issue by rebooting CRM in OneView through CLI, it seems ICM6 which was showing Imported wasn't able to get the configurations from its Master ICM3 nor OV.

tech3d
HPE Pro

Hi Gaisu,

Good to know that L3 support did fix the issue by rebooting CRM in OneView through CLI.
There are some known issues with the older OneView versions that has been fixed in the newer versions.
It is hence highly recommended to upodate to the latest version, to ensure stability. 

Moreover the newer versions has enhanced fretures as well.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

DanCernese
HPE Pro

HPE OneView 4.00 and 2017.10.201712XX is so far out of support life that it will be a technical challenge to bring it current without incurring a long maintenance window.  It went EOS over a year ago (along with all 2017.10 and 2018.03-based Custom SPPs) and 4.20 just went EOS last month.

I'm very glad support was able to resolve the issue.

One challenge getting current is that there will be required interim steps through versions that are mandatory but also already out of support.

I am an HPE Employee
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo