1767174 Members
3182 Online
108959 Solutions
New Discussion

iSCSI Synergy Boot from SAN w/Alletra 6050 and Cisco switch stack

Tim__Lawhead
Frequent Advisor

iSCSI Synergy Boot from SAN w/Alletra 6050 and Cisco switch stack

Got hardware spec'd out from sales vendor team.  No local storage installed and told iSCSI boot is common and not an issue.

I have followed the documenation for the iSCSI boot and had zero luck.  Hoping someone is using it out there and can provide some guidance, otherwise going to need to get some Installation Services or hours for Expert Services lined up to review it.

Goal - boot from SAN (Alletra 6050) going through a Cisco 9300/9300X swtich stack to the Synergy frame.  I have 8 blades to iSCSI boot.

Current messages:  

EVENT: UNKNOWN 83 iSCSI Error - iSCSI login failed.
ACTION: Verify your cable connection, controller configuration, and iSCSI initiator and target configuration and reboot the server.

EVENT: UNKNOWN 0 SAN Error - SAN link is down. SAN connection not possible.
ACTION: Check switch and SAN configuration, then reconnect the ports or reboot the server.

We have verifed that Cisco switch stack can allow traffic through the trunk ports by adding a separate switch and pinging through that to the SAN.  I have been able to present storage from the Alletra to a physical server on the same switch without issue, but I can't get the an iSCSI Attempt to work. 

I have CHAP turned off on the volume.  

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.  TIA

5 REPLIES 5
support_s
System Recommended

Query: iSCSI Synergy Boot from SAN w/Alletra 6050 and Cisco switch stack

System recommended content:

1. HPE Alletra 9000 VMware ESX/ESXi Implementation Guide

Please click on "Thumbs Up/Kudo" icon to give a "Kudo".

Thank you for being a HPE valuable community member.

Accept or Kudo

Tim__Lawhead
Frequent Advisor

Re: Query: iSCSI Synergy Boot from SAN w/Alletra 6050 and Cisco switch stack

Thank you.  That I can find, the document you linked doesn't mention an iSCSI boot.

I've worked off of this document:  https://techlibrary.hpe.com/docs/iss/proliant-gen10-uefi/s_adding_iscsi.html

Which is the only specific instance I've found so far that references an iSCI boot from SAN for Synergy blades.

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

You would configure these settings within the server profile. Configure an ISCSI Connection, and ensure the correct ISCSI network is assigned. You can then ensure the connection is bootable. You don't want to do this from the System Setup/RBSU.

You should follow these instructions to configure Synergy to manage HPE storage, including what you would need to do within the server profile, all of which is documented within the online help:

1. Quick Start: Configuring SAN storage 
  2. Boot from a managed SAN volume 
  3. Server profile iSCSI authentication 

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Tim__Lawhead
Frequent Advisor

Thank you Chris for the reply.

Support sent me a screen shot showing the Add Connection in OneView with Boot option showing the iSCSI Primary.  However, when I have the Function Type set to Ethernet as they stated I should and as in their screenshot, the only options I have are: Not Bootable, PXE Primary, and PXE Secondary.

We do not have Fibre Channel in use for this deployment.

My OneView is on the firmware version: 8.50.00-0482370

Tim__Lawhead
Frequent Advisor

I also see reference to Storage -> Storage Manager in the OneView documentation.  Not seeing that either.

StorageManagerOptionMissing.JPG