New Discussion

Mezannine cards connections 3:1:a and 3:2:

SOLVED
Go to solution
cer113
Frequent Advisor

Mezannine cards connections 3:1:a and 3:2:

HI

I dont think I quite understand connections on mezzanine card. I was under impression that if I select port for example Mezzaninne 3:1;a it goes to interconnect in enclosure 1 and if I select Mezzannine 3:2:a it will go to interconnect in enclosure 2. However we have setup ( testing multipathing) where all NVME traffic goes to interconnect in enclosure 2 but network card that is 3:2:a reports dead path and in enclusure 1 is good

As you can see both networks go to enclosure 2 which I would expect card with MAC 85 would be only to forward traffic but it is quite oposite. Network card that is 3:1 is forwarding trafic is good but when i put 3:2 then path shows as dead. I was expecting quite opositenics.JPG

interconnects.png

server profile.JPG

4 REPLIES 4
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Re: Mezannine cards connections 3:1:a and 3:2:

Based on what I see, vmnic5 should provide traffic to the iSCSI-3-LACP network.  That is as long as your Logical Interconnect Group configuration defines a fully redundant topology (which is does as the LIG shows Bays 3 and 6 together) and both ICM3 and ICM6 are connected as well via external stacking cables.

The second port (i.e. Mezz3:2, regardless of the sub-interface, aka FlexNIC/FlexHBA) will map to ICM Bay 6 within the Frame, just like the first port (i.e. Mezz3:1) would map to ICM Bay 3 within the Frame.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

cer113
Frequent Advisor

THis is exactly what i was expected we dont have path to Enclosure 1 interconnect 3 but only to interconnect 6 Enclosure 2.No redundancy yet depends on my network guy

However I would expect that vmnic5 would carry traffic and if vmnic4 then all paths would be dead. However it is oposite vmnic5 paths are dead and vmnic4 paths are alive which is very weird

I am just concerned I did misconfigure something

cer113
Frequent Advisor

so can I assume that if I go Mezzannine 3:1:a trafic goes to enclosure 1 INterconnect and 3:2:a it goes to interconnect in enclosure 2

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro
Solution

As I stated in my previous reply, the first physical parent port will map to ICM Bay 3, and the second physical port will map to ICM Bay 6, if the Fabric Module Pair is Bay 3/6. 

So in your specific environment, Mezz3:1 (no matter the sub interfaces) will map to ICM Bay 3 in Frame 1.  Mezz3:2 will map to ICM Bay 6 in Frame2.  If you do not configure a specific Uplink Set for ICM Bay 6 AND you do not have stcking cables connected between ICM Bay 3 and ICM Bay 6, no traffic will egress for any NIC mapping to ICM Bay 6; which means Mezz3:2 will not have any connectivity external to ICM Bay 6 fabric module.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo