3160 Online
108832 Solutions
New Discussion

Query: OneView cluster profiles versus VMware vLCM and OV4VC HSM

jlangmead
Regular Advisor

OneView cluster profiles versus VMware vLCM and OV4VC HSM

Hi

I have a single Synergy Frame full of SY480 Gen10 modules all running VMware 7.0. These are configured into two VMware clusters managed by a single VCSA running VMware 7.0.2.  I'm trying to identify the best way to manage the software and firmware updates of the compute modules and looking for the most effective and automated manner to do this leveraging OneView and VMware vLCM.

So there's an option to configure cluster profiles in OneView and use this to to manage the firmware of the compute modules in a 'cluster aware' manner - which will result in me not needing to manually evacuate all the vm's from the host manually. But once this is done I will then need to update the ESXi software from within vCenter using update manager\vLCM. So this is slightly automated but still a two stage process - correct?

A second option is to use vCanter to configure each VMware cluster to be managed by a single image (desired image config) and then to add the HPE customisation and hpe hardware components - HSM using OneView for vCenter. My understanding is that will do exactly the same thing in a 'cluster aware' manner but will do both the SPP and ESXi software together?

Am I missing anything from the above options? Can both be configured within the same environemnt to give me the flexibility to select my upgarde approach as I see fit or are they mutually exclusive?

Option 2 sounds like the easiest and most automated process but wanted to ask if there was any reason why option 1 might be preferred?

I undertsand that I will need to update the composers and Synergy shared components prior to updating the compute modules and this will be outside of whatever option I select for updating the compute modules.

Thanks in advance

1 REPLY 1
support_s
System Recommended

Query: OneView cluster profiles versus VMware vLCM and OV4VC HSM

System recommended content:

1. HPE OneView for VMware vCenter 10.3 Installation Guide | HPE OneView for VMware vCenter compatibility matrix

If the above information is helpful, then please click on "Thumbs Up/Kudo" icon.

Thank you for being a HPE community member.

Accept or Kudo