3480 Online
109003 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Synergy Boot from SAN with Alletra 6k

CadenLange
Regular Advisor

Synergy Boot from SAN with Alletra 6k

HI

When configuring a BFS function with a Synergy SY480c and CNA4820c which will be running VMware 7.0.3, is it necessary to first add the Alletra storage system to be under OneView management? Or can BFS just be configured without the array being added to OneView?

OneView is version 8.4

thanks

3 REPLIES 3
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Re: Synergy Boot from SAN with Alletra 6k

If you want to manage the volume and not need to know the target WWPN of the storage ports, you will need to add the HPE storage system, along with defining the FC networks and associating them to Managed SANs.

Otherwise, no, you can specify the target WWPN per FC connection so you don't have to configure this in the HBA BIOS.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

CadenLange
Regular Advisor

@ChrisLynch 

Thanks Chris

Does it make any difference if the hosts already has a BFS volume configured and we're just undertaking a hardware refresh of the array and so the boot lun is being moved to the new array. I'm hoping this will make things easier as the HBA BIOS is already configured and I just need to re-point the volume to the new volume on the new array??

thanks again

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Well, the volume WWN will change across storage systems.  So, you'll need to re-scan in the HBA BIOS for the target boot device.  Or you can configure these settings in the Server Profile (as long as you have Virtual Connect present):

Screenshot 2023-10-03 094429.png

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo