HPE Synergy
1772790 Members
2199 Online
109025 Solutions
New Discussion

VirtualConnect - Switching from 40G <> 4*10G ethernet uplinks to 40G <> 40G uplink

PatrickLong
Trusted Contributor

VirtualConnect - Switching from 40G <> 4*10G ethernet uplinks to 40G <> 40G uplink

Quick question about Virtual Connect SE 40Gb F8 Module for Synergy.  I currently have ICM3 in Frame 1 AND ICM6 in Frrame2 connected for ethernet using Q1:1-4 ports on both VC's using 40G QSFP+ optic  to 4*10G breakout cable and then SFP+ optics to uplink to my Cisco switch ports. Those 8 switch ports are configured in an 8-port portchannel VPC.  As part of a network refresh, the new switches we've installed have QSFP28 ports supporting both 40G or 100G connectivity; what is the feasability of simply using new cabling and optics on the Switch side to connect Q1 straight through at 40G on the switch side, and then creating a 2x40G portchannel VPC on my switch side?

Can this be done hot or with minimal disruption? I can pre-create the 2 * 40G portchannel VPC on the switch side and just leave the cables dangling behind my VirtualConnects and do a click-click cable swap in ICM3 and ICM6 Q1 ports, but what needs to happen on the VC/OneView side to recognize this change on Q1:1-4 from 4*10G lanes to simply a single Q1 40G lane?  Is that a disruptive change?

Has anyone done this or something similar and is willing to share your experience?

2 REPLIES 2
Kashyap02
HPE Pro

Re: VirtualConnect - Switching from 40G &lt;&gt; 4*10G ethernet uplinks to 40G &lt;&gt; 40G uplink

Hi

W.r.t. Virtual Connect/OneView , you would need to update the network profiles to reflect the new configuration. Specifically, you would need to change the uplink set from using 4*10G lanes to using a single 40G lane. This change may be disruptive, as it will require reconfiguring the network profiles and possibly causing a brief interruption to the network traffic.

It is always recommended to test any changes in a non-production environment before implementing them in a production environment.

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

PatrickLong
Trusted Contributor

Re: VirtualConnect - Switching from 40G &lt;&gt; 4*10G ethernet uplinks to 40G &am

@Kashyap02  I can see that needing to manually reconfigure the Uplink ports in the LIG might be required, but I can't see how that would require me to manually reconfigure the server profile network connections - unless you are saying that reconfiguring of the  network profiles happens automatically in the background to reconnect all uplinks per the new LIG configurration?

Has anyone on this forum actaully tried to do this? It must have happened before - someone performing a network refresh ripping out old 10G switches that their Synergy VC's were connected to and replacing them with 40G switches, no? Is there an HPE-vetted process for this?