HPE Synergy
1772798 Members
2329 Online
109025 Solutions
New Discussion ī„‚

Re: Warning message when SPT Connections for SAN boot configured for FC Load Balanced

techguy521
Established Member

Warning message when SPT Connections for SAN boot configured for FC Load Balanced

Iā€™m seeing a warning message related to how we have the FC Boot LUN configured. Hereā€™s how itā€™s configured in our SPT,

ID Name Network Port Boot

1 SAN_A SAN-A Fabric attach Mezzanine 3:1-b FC load balanced

2 SAN_B SAN-B Fabric attach Mezzanine 3:2-b FC load balanced

As you can see Boot is set for ā€œFC Load Balancedā€ on both and 50 SP's were created from the SPT so I would assume that 25 would see their boot LUN on SAN-A and the other 25 on SAN-B which is how we want it. And this works for the profiles that see the boot LUN on SAN-A, but for the profiles that see the boot LUN on SAN-B we get this warning,

"The server failed to access the storage volume(s) for the boot connection using port Mezzanine Slot 3:1"

Even though it sees and boots up from SAN-B, it throws this warning that it didnā€™t from SAN-A. Is something not configured correctly or is there any way to suppress this warning?

Skip

7 REPLIES 7
shiva_jr
HPE Pro

Re: Warning message when SPT Connections for SAN boot configured for FC Load Balanced

Hi techguy521,
    This document may help you.
Regards,
Shiva_JR
Please mark as 'Accepted solution' if my post worked and award with 'Kudos'.

I work for HPE
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

What OneView software version is installed on your Composer(s)?  Can you share what FC adapter model and firmware you have installed?

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

techguy521
Established Member

@ChrisLynch 

Hi Chris,

The Composers are running 8.50.00-0482370 and the servers are using the Synergy 6820C 25/50Gb CNA running firmware 8.65.8. The Virtual Connect SE 100Gb F32 Module for Synergy are running 2.6.0.1001.

-Skip

techguy521
Established Member

Chris,

Here's the warning message I'm seeing,

The server failed to access the storage volume(s) for the boot connection using port Mezzanine Slot 3:1

Resolution This condition might be expected if the affected connection is configured with boot target information of a standby storage controller. Because the server was able to access a volume associated with the other boot connection, this alert may be cleared if full boot redundancy is not required. If not using a standby controller, try the following:
ā€¢ Verify that any manually specified boot target information is correct in the profileā€™s connection configuration.
ā€¢ Resolve any relevant errors or warnings on the logical interconnect and interconnect resources.
ā€¢ Resolve any errors or warnings associated with SF00010001P, bay 1
ā€¢ Ensure that the storage system is online and accessible.
ā€¢ Ensure that the server has permission to access the volume on the storage system, and zoning is correctly configured.
ā€¢ Reapply the "Adapter configuration and boot settings" of the profile.
After addressing all issues, OneView will clear this alert after doing the following:
ā€¢ Power on or reboot the server to complete Power On Self-Test (POST).
If you have manually verified the server has discovered the volume(s) as bootable devices, and wish to avoid disrupting the server, you may manually clear this alert.

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Thanks for the additional information.  Can you help answer:

• Storage system model/FW
  • How storage is wired to the Synergy VC modules.  Which VC fibre channel port is connected to which stroage controller and it's port?

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

techguy521
Established Member

@ChrisLynch 

Storage is a Primera A670 running 4.5.11.14

Fabric switches are (4) HPE Brocade G720, 2 are running Firmware 9.0.1a and 2 are running 9.0.1c

Connections (Target Ports)

System Ports (N:S:P)
100042FE95E00014 0:3:2, 1:3:2
100042FE95E00016 0:3:4, 1:3:4

techguy521
Established Member

Chris,

One more thing, we are using ports Q5 (fabric A) and Q6 (fabric B) in the Virtual Connect SE 100Gb F32 Module.

-Skip