7445 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: IMC 7.0 Self Signed Java applications

scottdoorey
Occasional Advisor

IMC 7.0 Self Signed Java applications

Hi all,

I'm curious to know why IMC uses self signed certificates for the java applications?

This is causing problems with browsers refusing to run the plugins for the topology maps.

Surely H3C / HP could get a legit certificate to sign the applications and make them work properly?

Does anybody know of a workaround to prevent browser security issues?

Scott

4 REPLIES 4
LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

It's worse than just self-signed applets - recent Java versions change some of the security settings, and won't run those applets because of issues with the manifests. You need to lower your Java security settings to Medium.

I suppose you could try and sign those packages yourself, but it's probably not worth the effort right now - HP is moving towards HTML5, away from Java. If you go to Resource -> Custom View, pick a Custom View, then select the "Topology" radio button, it will display the topology using HTML5.

But if you go Resource -> Network Topology, it will use Java. I'm hopeful that HP will soon remove these last remnants of Java, and move it to all HTML5. That is certainly their clear direction, I'm just not sure what the timing will be.

stugrogan
Visitor

Hi, I  had the same problem with Mozilla and IE also, I managed to fix it by going to Java settings in Control Panel.

Start > Control Panel > Java > Security Tab > Edit Site List...

Then add the url for your IMC server something like: https://<IPADDRESS_OF_IMC>:8443

Of course, you'll have to replace <IPADDRESS_OF_IMC> with the actual ip address or hostname of the server.

Then click Add, Then Ok.

Then try openning a session to IMC and navigate to Resource > Network Topology (Applet).

By the way, I dont know if you've noticed the traffic topology index button, to show like utilisation etc is not available in the HTML5 version of Network Topology.... just saying.... hopefully they'll fix that in the next update too...

HTH

stu

Thunder_GAO
Occasional Advisor

I agree.
IMC already moved to HTML5, and all components will support HTML5 sooner or later.
When all componets support HTML5, the Java applets will be the history.
LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

@Thunder_GAO wrote:
When all componets support HTML5, the Java applets will be the history.

And there will be much rejoicing in the streets!

Hopefully no later than the next release?