1753394 Members
7375 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Modify Real-Time Alarms

sd219
Advisor

Modify Real-Time Alarms

We have around 50 switches in our network and there are a few devices, where not all ports on switches are patched and apart from that it is possible that there might be some devices which are offline even if they are patched (for example because the user is not at work yet)

The annoying matter here concerns the notifications of the Real-Time Alarms section. Right now  we have about 213 major alarms where most of them say something like

"switch xy (IP-Adress of the device) Interface "36" State DOWN found during system device poll"

This notification applies to all devices and it is quite annoying. Do i take this notification right that it's meant, that for example a device is offline, maybe because the user is not at work yet for example? (as i mentioned above)

If i am right then i cannot find the option where i am able to deactivate these alarms.

4 REPLIES 4
parnassus
Honored Contributor

What's about acting directly on sources with a no snmp-server enable traps link-change directive? no traps about link-change will thus be sent to IMC.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
sd219
Advisor

@parnassus Thank you for your hint, but unfortunately it didn't work.

I run the command no snmp-server enable traps link-change  all but the next morning i received again an alarm notification in imc with the information: Interface "1/9" State DOWN found during system device poll.

So what could i do next? During my research i've found this Video on Youtube concerning the trap filtering rules.

Would that be a possible solution?

RPapaux
Valued Contributor

The message that you got is not a trap from the device, but an event generated by IMC during the device poll.

In the trap filter menu you can filter out the trap coming from PC connected links for the access switches.

For the core and distribution switches, you can SET the used port administratively DOWN. This should avoid device poll interface down events.

sd219
Advisor

@RPapaux 

thank you for the answer.

I really don't understand the context of your explantation. Can you please explain it once more in detail?