108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Question(s) about IMC email notifications

SOLVED
Go to solution
Matteo_Gastaldo
Occasional Contributor

Question(s) about IMC email notifications

Hi, this is my first time posting in the forums, glad to be part of the community. 

With my company, we recently installed an IMC 7.3_E605_P06 at a customer HPE/Aruba networking solution, to substitute the previous PCM solution he had. The installation went well, and the management software works as expected. 

This said, the customer used the mail notification system in the PCM to know whenever a port went down/up and wanted this to be configured also in the IMC.
So we configured the mail notification service in the IMC solution, added the desired receiving e-mails and tested the configuration; everything gone according to the plan.

The customer, however, noticed that the "name" of the interfaces involved didn't show up neither in the body of the mail, nor in the subject. This particular was shown when he had the PCM solution. 
We tried to figure out a way to modify the body or the subject of the mail in the IMC platform, but we had no success. 

Is there a way to do so? It would be ok even with fixed objects to be selected, we need just the name of the interface to show, in addition to the generic "GigabitEthernet x/y/z".

Thanks in advance for your time,
Matteo

4 REPLIES 4
jguse
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: Question(s) about IMC email notifications

Hello Matteo,

Welcome to the community :)

There is a new feature in IMC 7.3 E0703 that covers exactly what you are describing:

• The alarm contents can be customized in the mail notifications for alarms.

Can you check it out and see if that works for you? It even allows you to use variable parameters from the SNMP Trap that you receive to trigger the alarm. The only concern here is that with the standard Interface DOWN Trap, only the parameters of Interface Index, Description, Admin Status and Oper Status are included, which I don't think includes the "name" you are looking for.

Best regards,
Justin

Working @ HPE
Accept or Kudo
Matteo_Gastaldo
Occasional Contributor

Thanks jguse!

We updated the IMC solution to the lastest version and started to work on the alarm traps: we addet the "ifAlias" OID to the Link UP/Link DOWN SNMP Traps and managed to get the custom name of the port diplayed on the mail body.

Anyway, I noticed the possibility to customize the title and body of the mail, but the variables displayed on the "?" seems like to be cutted at some point. Is there a list I can find about those values? (eg. $(FaultSour); $(FaultName)....).

I'll mark this as solved, but I hope to get some more clarification about the point I just mentioned.

Best regards,

Matteo

jguse
HPE Pro

Hello Matteo,

The variables should be used exactly as shown there (in the ? output), and I'm attaching a screenshot of the full output for you. It shows all the parameters that can be used, but perhaps it was cut off on your screen.

I realize I had forgotten all about one setting in IMC that should work for you. System Configuration > System Settings > Interface Info Display > set it to "Interface Alias" and save. This will make IMC show the Alias (name) instead of Description for you automatically and works for Traps/Alarms, though I haven't tested it in e-mails.

Best regards,
Justin

Working @ HPE
Accept or Kudo
Matteo_Gastaldo
Occasional Contributor

Thanks a lot.

This was indeed faster, but nevermind, at least I improved at using Traps and understanding MIBs.