1758563 Members
1630 Online
108872 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

IE auto-launches to an HP shopping site randomly

Brett_4

IE auto-launches to an HP shopping site randomly

I have a HP pavilion model number 8760 C

Every day (sometimes multiple times a day), internet explorer auto-launches itself and goes to a url at redirect.downloadpavilion.com. This url is for some HP shopping site. This is so amazing annoying!! Especially when it auto-launches itself throwing me out of a secure program which i can't alt-tab back into, thus making me shut the task off losing work. I've talked to HP support 5 times. And because it's so random they keep telling me things to remove and hope it doesn't come back again.

Anything to do with hp has been stripped out of my startup items, out of the registery, autoexec.bat, etc. etc. I've also reinstalled IE twice hoping to kill it.

Can anyone help me from this nightmare someone at Hp marketing department decided was a 'good idea' to embed in my machine.
2 REPLIES 2
Martin Schmidt_2
Trusted Contributor

Re: IE auto-launches to an HP shopping site randomly

Hi Brett,

1. Have you researched the registry with "regedit"?
2 Maybe something in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer or in HKEY_USERS\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer?
3. What about your homepage? Does it maybe change back to the unwanted page?
4. Maybe a nasty program running in the background?
5. Have you deleted the cached pages and all cookies?
6. Anything installed like "ICQ"? This has an autolaunch option.

I hope this helps.
Regards, Martin.
Peter Gathercole

Re: IE auto-launches to an HP shopping site randomly

I know this is a little late, but...

This is being generated by a utility called "HP Internet Centre". This is associated with the MultiMedia Keyboard Manager.

Assuming that you have the original sortware loaded, if you go to Start->HP Internet Centre, this should open up the Internet Centre window. In this, there is link called Settings, and there is then a button marked something like "Dont launch HP Internet Centre at Windows Startup"

This should stop this, although the update software in the multimedia keyboard driver will still contact the internet for you