1755679 Members
5216 Online
108837 Solutions
New Discussion

Preventing Messenger In ISA 2000

amr_6
Occasional Advisor

Preventing Messenger In ISA 2000

hi - i have ISA server in my network as the firewall and i when i configured my protocol rule for internet access i didnâ t select the msn messenger from the list of the allowed protocols but the messenger stills can run through my firewall from the internal LAN .. So I want to prevent from using the msn through the firewall. After reviewing some articles mentioned in it that the only real solution to stop the msn working from the internal LAN using the ISA server is .. by going the access policy and then site and content rules and then go to the allow rule and starts to modify in it till it prevent the msn messenger and the video / audio streaming but when I selected these options all of the other website starts to came to me .. in a bad format and not completed. But all I only prevent from passing through the ISA is the messenger and the video audio streaming thatâ s
3 REPLIES 3
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Re: Preventing Messenger In ISA 2000

amr_6
Occasional Advisor

hi thanks for your feedback but i think ur post not mentioned anything towards the MS ISA server it speakes about blocking the service from the layer of the router and you were eaking about the the yahoo messenger my main problem is the msn messenger thats all and how its related to the content group in the sites and rule content thats all.. any way thanks for you help ...
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

The thing is the instant messengers all work the same way. You can't block them by blocking a port (protocol) since they will get around that. The only way to really kill them is to block access to their server.

However, since you want an ISA solution try:

http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/How_to_Block_Dangerous_Instant_Messengers_Using_ISA_Server.html

which appears to block the .exe file then gives up and says block the following IP address ranges.

Ron