108756 Solutions
New Discussion

E3800 Policy Based Routing

SOLVED
Go to solution
AuZZZie
Frequent Advisor

E3800 Policy Based Routing

It's beggining to look like I've been duped again by HP's ever so vague descriptions of their feature sets.

Can the E3800 do source based routing? From what I can see so far it can match based on prefix-lists and a few other variables, but it cannot match based on access-lists, say if I wanted to match just a specific hosts. 

Cheers

8 REPLIES 8
LorenzoCastro
Frequent Advisor

Re: E3800 Policy Based Routing

Hello, I am pretty sure you can with the 3800.  Check the advanced traffic management guide for your switch and it should have some info in PBR using traffic classification and policies.   Also note that PBR was introduced in a certain version, so you if you don't have the PBR option when creating a policy to use the traffic classifier you will most likely need to upgrade.

TrafficMngmtGuide

Fredrik Lönnman
Honored Contributor

I dont know about the 3800, but the Policy Based Routing feature in the 5400zl where not the same as Ciscos definition.

---
CCIE Service Provider
MASE Network Infrastructure [2011]
H3CSE
CCNP R&S

AuZZZie
Frequent Advisor

This is what I love about HP gear. No one actually knows for certain (including HP) untill you spend the $6,000 and have it physically in your possesion and can see what CLI feature sets you get with this particular model. It's like a friggin lucky dip every time.

Just like how their "Layer 2" switches with GVRP (unrelated) and still do Inter-Vlan routing. Their software and feature sets are an absolute mess, as are their pre-sales teams who have no clue what they are selling.

With that said, I worked it out myself. While I have not verified it works, it appears if you are using route-maps (like a logical person would) you can only match based on prefix-lists, vlans and a few other variables. Not access-lists. It appears the route-maps are just that, intended only for route advertisements and filtering them.

While not technically an acl, for PBR you use the class ipv4 command to setup your match sequence then policy pbr to define your action (next-hop etc).

Fredrik Lönnman
Honored Contributor

It's the same as on 5400zl/8200zl then. I've known a few that's been burned by that.

---
CCIE Service Provider
H3CSE
CCNP R&S

AuZZZie
Frequent Advisor

Their marketing is extremely misleading. Same as their 2910al ACL support that can't do VLAN based ACL's only port based.

Like I said, no matter the pre-sales research you put in, you never really know the feature set you're getting till you've spent the cash. 

Peter_Debruyne
Honored Contributor
Solution

No offense for the provision products, but they are ok for the normal straight-forward layer2/basic layer3 networking. If you expect (advanced) features (that just work), you need to shop the comware switches.

That said and on topic : the 3500/5400/8200 all shipped with the same ProVision ASIC, which does not support policy based routing. Only the current generation ASIC supports PBR, so the 3800 (successor of 3500) ships with this ASIC and supports PBR. For the 5400/8200, you can get the "v2" modules, which also have this newer ASIC. Only 5400/8200 with these modules support PBR, the older modules (even with latest firmware) will never support PBR.

You are right that there is no ACL referenc in the PBR, but the class ipv4 concept is essentially the same as an ACL, the statements are just defined inside the PBR map, so that would make no difference to me.

And for the pre-sales item, feel free to post future product questions on the forum first :)

AuZZZie
Frequent Advisor

Cheers mate. That is good info to know. 

I also have an A5500 Comware based switch, and honestly it kicks the crap out of the Provision stuff so I definitely agree with you there. 

Which raises another beef of mine. Knowing what switches in their lineup use what Platform. If you pull up the A5500 i in their product list, not once does it mention that "Hey. This switch runs a different platform that you may be use to, even though we're selling it as a Procurve". We don't all have time to keep up on every single model in their line up. We rely on their product descriptions as a base.

http://h17007.www1.hp.com/us/en/products/switches/HP_5500_EI_Switch_Series/index.aspx

Can't say I've ever ordered a Cisco Catalyst and been surprised with a Nortel CLI. They really need to clean things up.

Fredrik Lönnman
Honored Contributor

...except for the H3C logo on the product pictures? ;). But no, you're definitely right, it is not that obvious. It was a little bit easier before when they at least called them A- and E-series, but thats gone now too.

I guess everything will be Comware in due time though.

---
CCIE Service Provider
H3CSE
CCNP R&S