1751974 Members
5096 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion

Trunking Metro E?

ChrisPAE
Visitor

Trunking Metro E?

My company has some gear that's on prem at our main office, and some at a colo datacenter across town.  Currently they're connected via point to point VPN handled by the firewalls, however we're recently purchased a metro-e connection from our ISP (they also own the datacenter) and have a nice drop right into our rack.

2 questions:

1) do I have to encrypt the traffic between the two and run the metro-e over our firewalls

2) If I don't have to encrypt, can I trunk some switch ports to pass traffic?  At the main office the "core" switch is a 5412 and at the datacenter it's a 2920

2 REPLIES 2
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: Trunking Metro E?

Is it really a straight point-to-point copper [*] (Fast|Gigabit)-Ethernet link between your two sites (no switches|taps in between so far)?

If (a big IF) it is really so you can think of it like a pure Layer 2 extension between your two sites and traffic encryption/firewalling/natting (or whatever you can think of about Layer 3) could/would be avoided...since the link can be defined as a Layer 2 uplink between Switches (eventually permits VLANs, if any).

Sound reasonable?

[*] sure some Fiber Optics/Copper Ethernet mediaconverters are there...to overcome copper Ethernet lenght limit.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
ChrisPAE
Visitor

Re: Trunking Metro E?

Thanks, that makes sense. 

After confirming with the provider that the connection is already encrypted on their equipment, I'm going to create a /30 on each switch and just add a route for each vlan on each switch.