New Discussion юеВ

Re: VG and Cluster VG

SOLVED
Go to solution
ln_unix
Frequent Advisor

VG and Cluster VG

Hello All,

Am having a query,Please help me to get answer of this...

Is there any difference between a NORMAL VG and a CLUSTER VG? if any,what are the differences? then waiting for your replies ........

Thanks in advance.....
ln
7 REPLIES 7
G. Vrijhoeven
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Check the documentation:
http://docs.hp.com/en/B3936-90079/ch05s07.html

Regards,

Gideon
Kapil Jha
Honored Contributor

Normal VG is available only on one machine all the time normally, and

Cluster VG can be present on more than one cluster node.
they can be of 2 types

exclusive=can only be active on one node at one point of time, and it can be active on more than one machine.
and
shared=can be active on various machines at one point of time.Application would decide if this would currupt the FS or not.

https://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1269581148923+28353475&threadId=1415095

BR,
Kapil+
I am in this small bowl, I wane see the real world......
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

A volume group is a volume group is a volume group...

When a cluster is involved, it simply means that the volume group was given to the cluster software to control it. You can run a cluster and still have volume groups on that box that are NOT being run by the cluster. Should that box go down...only the cluster controlled volume groups will be moved to the next failover node the cluster is set to use.

Regards,
Rita
Horia Chirculescu
Honored Contributor

>NORMAL VG and a CLUSTER VG

Well, why should you look at some cluster enabled VG as some not "NORMAL" VG?

Offtopic: I remember an old black/white scary movie - Frankenstein, where the name of doctor's 'child' was - if I remember right - "Ab Normal"...

Any volume group can be cluster enabled, just by setting a flag on it (a mark).

Horia.
Best regards from Romania,
Horia.
Anoop Sivan
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Hello
1.Is there any difference between a NORMAL VG and a CLUSTER VG?
Yes, there is difference.Cluster vg's are created as shared vg's, means the disks are from a shared disk pool and can be accessed by all the nodes thst is part of the cluster.
When we issue the cmapplyconf for configuring the cluster, one cluster aware flag is turned on all the shared vg's defined in the configuration file.
#vgchange -c n vgxx --> for turn off the cluster flag.
#vgchange -c y vgxx --> for turn on the flag.
Rohak
Advisor

Cluster volume group creates only on storage but volume group creates on local disk also. other difference already specified above.
Taifur
Respected Contributor

Hi,

In general Vg appear in single server.

but in case of two cluster node vg , it appaears in active node and when active node fails it would appear another node. That means during vgcreate it create in sharebale mode

See below linl, it will help u
http://docs.hp.com/en/B9106-90008/vgchange.1M.html

Cheers//
Taifur