1748352 Members
5435 Online
108763 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Reboot to PXE / USB not doing anything in Task Sequence

Tony Cresswell
Frequent Advisor

Reboot to PXE / USB not doing anything in Task Sequence

I have the default, unchanged HP Bare Metal Deployment Task Sequence running on a DL380 G5 but when it gets to the "Reboot to PXE / USB" it pauses then continues the task sequence as if it's rebooted.

The subsequent tasks do not run due to the RebootStep variable not being incremented (because it didn't reboot!)

Any ideas anyone?

By the way, has anyone else noticed the whole HP ICE for System Centre pack is a complete copy (down to the documentation) of the DELL and IBM packs for System Centre? :-)
5 REPLIES 5
Stuart Cain
Frequent Advisor

Re: Reboot to PXE / USB not doing anything in Task Sequence

Due to the fact that Microsoft's Task Sequence is the foundation of the OSD toolkit, you'll see that this feature of ICE-SC is very similar to what is being delivered by other vendors. However, the OSD capability from HP is unique in that it is bundled into a suite that delivers comprehensive infrastructure management within a System Center environment; the product gives you 24x7 support from HP. Development of the other components of ICE-SC (PRO pack, iLO Advanced integration, the ProLiant Hardware Inventory tool, HP SC server management packs and the integrated installer for the System Center management packs, etc.) was led by HP, thus contains unique differentiators. For more information on the components that are included in Insight Control suite for Microsoft System Center, please visit the website at: www.hp.com/go/icesystemcenter
Tony Cresswell
Frequent Advisor

So no idea on the Reboot to PXe then?
DeploymentGuy

I think MS (Niehaus) wrote the thing and gave it to them to adjust ot their specific hardware.

Dell is free. I still cannot figure out if this is or not.
Stuart Cain
Frequent Advisor

Tony,

It is difficult to say without more information, for exampe clarification if you left everything unchanged or was the password entered into the task sequence for the target machine to communicate back to the Site Server? Did you change any configuration files customized to do the appropriate actions? Was the task sequence reporting any error status?

The Insight Control Suite for System Center is a licensed product with a 60 day trial license attached to the download at Software Depot.

We plan to change the wording at Software Depot to be clear on the trial period.

Stuart Cain
Tony Cresswell
Frequent Advisor

After a long and detailed troubleshooting effort by myself and HP it appears that if one of the hardware config tasks (bios, array or ilo) has an incorrect syntax it causes the task sequence to continue (and not error) and finish the build.

Which of course it doesn't do as the hardware isn't configured properly.

I've been informed HP are working on imporving this area of the SCCM pack.