MSA Storage
1755672 Members
3192 Online
108837 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Compaq Fibre Channel SAN Switch 8-EL

CA1055221

Compaq Fibre Channel SAN Switch 8-EL

I have two issues and need your assistance.

Currently have two Compaq Fibre Channel SAN Switch 8-ELs and would like connect a new IBM DLT library which has several FC connectors to one of the switches. Do I need to configure anything on the switch such as SSP so that the IBM DLT library can be recognized by the switch or proliant servers connecting to the switch?

We plan to reuse the RA4100 with 2 array controllers and would like to connect these controllers to two 64-bit HBAs on one DL380G1 for the fault tolence purpose. Do we need to install any software such as SecurePath?

Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3
CA1012107

Re: Compaq Fibre Channel SAN Switch 8-EL

The switch should have no issue with this. The 2/8EL works great with tape. If you have 2 switches, I would recommend a dual fabric config if you don't need more than 8 ports. However, tape is not generally dual FC connected. In fact tape has a real problem with that. The Backup software should manage the tape library and who can access it. Software like Netbackup with SSO.

The servers may need fault tolerant software like secure path, but I'm not sure if the RA4100's will work with SecurePath. An alternative is Veritas DMP.
BR734478
Advisor

Secure Path for Workgroup Edition is supported on the RA4100.

I believe that Veritas DMP is not.

A good thing would be to implement zoning, seperate the servers from each other to prevent interuptions on the SAN during backups.

regards
christian
CA1055221

When I upgraded the firmware for RA4100 to V2.6 and all 146GB hard drives were inserted. Why I just got 500GB per LUN? Is it a maximum capacity? Is there any methods to expand the capacity? Thanks.