MSA Storage
1755964 Members
3386 Online
108839 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Degraded disk group

@DmitriyZ 

Can you please provide the picture of all Global Spares by hovering your mouse pointer as marked below on top of each Global Spare so that drive details will pop-up like below one,

drive1.10.JPG

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
JonPaul
HPE Pro

Have you run your logs through the MSA HealthCheck?   https://www.hpe.com/storage/MSAHealthCheck

I notice your drive firmware is downlevel this is not causing this problem.
Have you tried setting the spares back to available and then back again to SPARE?
Are the SPARE drives suitable replacements?  Same or larger size and same type of drive?
One of the updated best practices (see HealthCheck) is to enable Dynamic Sparing which will also take AVAIL drives and use them as spares.

I work for HPE
DmitriyZ
Occasional Advisor

@SUBHAJIT KHANBARMAN_1 

1.5.png

1.13.png

1.24.png

@JonPaul 

HealthCheck:

Status   Unhealthy Component   Description   Recommendation

Virtual Pool A   The virtual pool is degraded.   - Ensure that spare disks are available. Reconstruction should start automatically. - When the reconstruction is complete, replace the failed disk(s). (Look for event 8 in the event log to determine which disk(s) failed.) - Disk groups that cannot find compatible spares will automatically move data to fault-tolerant components.

Disk Group dgA02   The disk group is not fault tolerant. Reconstruction cannot start because there is no spare disk available of the proper type and size.   - Replace the disk with one of the same type (SAS SSD, enterprise SAS, or midline SAS) and the same or greater capacity. For continued optimum I/O performance, the replacement disk should have performance that is the same as or better than the one it is replacing. - Configure the new disk as a spare so the system can start reconstructing the vdisk. - To prevent this problem in the future, configure one or more additional disks as spare disks.

Status   Component   Installed Version (Quantity)   Recommended Version (Download Pages)

Enclosure 1 - Controllers   GL210R004 (2)   GL225P002-02 (Windows, Linux)

Drive Model - EG1200JEHMC   HPD3 (20)   HPD5 (Windows, Linux, FLA)

Drive Model - EG1200JEMDA   HPD4 (2)   HPD6 (Windows, Linux, FLA)

Drive Model - ST400FM0403   0007 (2)

HC.png

[Moderator edit: Erased the confidential info]

@DmitriyZ 

1.10 - EG1200JEHMC
 1.5 - EG1200JEHMC
1.13 - EG1200JEMDA
1.24 - EG1200JEHMC

It seems no issue with drive models.

Next you can try deleting all Global Spares and make 1,5, 1.13 and 1.24 as AVAIL drives. Then configure Dynamic Spare. Follow below process,

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=c04220794 (page no 183)

With dynamic spares enabled, if a disk fails and you replace it with a compatible disk, the storage system rescans the bus, finds the new disk, automatically designates it a spare, and starts reconstructing the disk group.

If above still didn't work then try configuring only One Global Spare for example, 1.5 or 1.24. Rest two drives leave it as AVAIL drives.

If still it's not working then log a HPE Support case,

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=cep-help_en_us&page=index.html

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

[Moderator edit: Updated the broken link.]

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
DmitriyZ
Occasional Advisor

@SUBHAJIT KHANBARMAN_1 

I have finished with settings, but no luck with isuue resolving.

We replaced disks with new one model - EG001200JWJNQ. Does it fit with MSA 2040 or incompatible, because still no changes...

@DmitriyZ 

It looks to me supported model only as per below supported drive firmware link,

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/swd/detail?swItemId=MTX_e4af5736d2d743bc836ba7bee4

You go ahead and log support case with HPE.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Imtiaz_Waraich
Occasional Visitor

@SUBHAJIT KHANBARMAN_1 

Hi  SUBHAJIT 

I have same issue, Disk Group dgB02 - Degraded ,and HPE support advice me reboot the controller, but I have too much workload, production,  can you help for an other cli command run rescan disks or way I can restart Reconstruction  opration.  also advise do I rescan disk channel so it will impact running SAN status.     

System Health
Degraded

Reason:
A subcomponent of this component is unhealthy.

Unhealthy Components

Virtual Pool B - Degraded

A virtual disk group is missing one or more disks.

- Ensure that spare disks are available. Reconstruction should start automatically.
- When the reconstruction is complete, replace the failed disk(s). (Look for event 8 in the event log to determine which disk(s) failed.)
- Disk groups that cannot find compatible spares will automatically move data to fault-tolerant components.

Disk Group dgB02 - Degraded

One disk in the RAID disk group failed. Reconstruction cannot start because there is no spare disk available of the proper type and size.

- Replace the disk with one of the same type (SSD, enterprise SAS, or midline SAS) and the same or greater capacity. For continued optimum I/O performance, the replacement disk should have performance that is the same as or better than the one it is replacing.
- Configure the new disk as a spare so the system can start reconstructing the disk group.
- To prevent this problem in the future, configure one or more additional disks as spare disks.
- If the disk group is being expanded, reconstruction will start after the expansion is complete.