4715 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Different ProLiants on MSA

aaloneftis
Frequent Visitor

Different ProLiants on MSA

Dear all

I am looking into a new setup with Proliant servers connecting to an MSA box.  Can I connect different versions of servers to MSA?  For example an existing DL380 G10 and new ones to be purchased?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
ace-rimmer
Frequent Advisor

you can connect an msa to anything

Cali
Honored Contributor

>> you can connect an msa to anything

... unless it is a SAS model.

ACP IT Solutions AGI'm not an HPE employee, so I can be wrong.
ace-rimmer
Frequent Advisor

ive connected sas msa's to desktop pc's and dell servers with no issue.

JonPaul
HPE Pro

@ace-rimmer @aaloneftis @Cali 
Support and 'works' are 2 different things
To answer the initial question, as long as the HBA (FC, SAS, iSCSI-ish) is listed in SPOCK:  https://www.hpe/com/storage/SPOCK
The MSA does not care if it is an HPE Gen10, Gen10+ or Gen11 or from another server vendor maybe located in TX.
That said, you also have to align the HBA to the Server side quickspecs or review the caveats about using 3rd party servers on the SPOCK site (Single Point Of Connectivity Knowledge) to receive full support from HPE.

I work for HPE
ace-rimmer
Frequent Advisor

yes i understand that.. the original poster asked can i connect it. yes you can

aaloneftis
Frequent Visitor

Thanks to you all for responding and sorry for the delayed feedback. I have little experience in this area and I posted the question as one vendor informed me that the servers needed to be the same.  The servers would be running ESXi and all VMs will reside on MSA.  Before closing the post, can MSA support a setup where it forms common storage for 3 ESXi servers so that even if 2 servers go down, the 3rd one can still service users of a VM on MSA?

Cali
Honored Contributor

That’s no problem, if your last Server have enough RAM and CPU Cores to handle the running VM‘s.
If not, most Customer Shutdown some of VM‘s and let the most needed running. But this not a Issue of the MSA.
Cali
ACP IT Solutions AGI'm not an HPE employee, so I can be wrong.