MSA Storage
1754906 Members
3589 Online
108827 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Help me choose best FC HBA for new DL370 G6 server.

Neal Howard
Advisor

Help me choose best FC HBA for new DL370 G6 server.

I'm trying to assemble an equipment list to purchase a new DL370 G6 server, which will be running Oracle Enterprise Linux 5.x (which is derived from RHEL 5.x) and there are two FC HBAs listed as supported for this new generation of server. Both are 8 Gbps capable cards, one is the StorageWorks 82Q (QLogic-based) and the other is the StorageWorks 82E (Emulex-based).

My SAN is an EMC Celerra and only supports up to 4 Gbps FC. The server will be direct-connected to the Celerra's dual FC controllers, not going thru a switch.

We presently have a Windows box with a Q-Logic dual-channel card connected to the Celerra's twin controllers, and there is room left for one more server with a dual channel FC HBA to connect directly also, we do not intend to add on any more servers for the forseeable future.

The 82Q and 82E HBA cards are so new, as is the DL370 G6 too, that EMC themselves are unable to offer us any advice on which HBA to choose. HP's own pre-sales Proliant engineer had no idea also.

Has anyone out there put together a DL370 G6 with one of these fiber channel HBA cards and running 64-bit Linux on it, and can tell me which card is the best recommendation?
2 REPLIES 2
damiri
Regular Advisor

Re: Help me choose best FC HBA for new DL370 G6 server.

Qlogic or Emulex will work. Just follow up certifications for the card, operating system, storage. 8GB/s card will decrease speed to 4GB/s in order to communicate. I personally prefer Qlogic but without reason. Now we are mixing Emulex and Qlogic.

Damir
Neal Howard
Advisor

Re: Help me choose best FC HBA for new DL370 G6 server.

Since we already have a QLogic card in the Windows box that's connected to this SAN, and it's working perfectly fine, I think I'll choose the 82Q card for this new machine.