1754403 Members
3280 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion

MSA 2050 Storage Addition

Main
Established Member

MSA 2050 Storage Addition

Wanted to know if someone could assist with questions related to an MSA 2050 and the addition of storage in the unit, for use in a vSphere VMWare ESXi 6.7 enviroment.

Our goal - add additional physical storage (6 - 1.2 TB drives) in our MSA 2050, then expand our current MSA volumes (not new volumes) and VMWare storage/datastores (3), using the new storage added. Current Disk group is using raid6 and the drives being added to the MSA are identical,  as in, specs for size, SAS, r/min, etc.

Steps completed in accordance with the MSA 2050 User Guide so far -

1. Physically added the 6 - 1.2 TB SAS drives into our enclosure.

2. Created a second Disk Group in the current storage pool (Pool A), and selected the 6 new 1.2 TB drives to participate in the new disk group, which again is part of the current storage pool (Pool A).

Physical Capacity now showing = 19.6TiB for all Virtual Disk Groups

Logical Reserved now showing = 4491GiB

Logical Allocated now showing = 7032GiB

Logical Unallocated now showing = 4067GiB

Uncommitted storage for Pool A now showing = 4531.9GiB

Virtual Storage Pool A Total = 15.2TiB

The three mentioned Volumes from above, all in Pool A -

VMWareVol10000 = 3699.2Gib, VMWareVol10001 = 3699.2Gib, VMWareVol10002 = 3699.2Gib

So to the question. As my understanding in the MSA 2050 user guide, to continue to increase the storage size of the Volumes which are all in Pool A with the new uncommitted capacity/drives. I will now need to increase the size of the 3 volumes by using the "Modify Volume" Action on the "Volumes" page, for each Volume independently, manually enter the "Expand By" size in the "Modify Volume" Window? I want the new storage to be divided evenly across the 3 volumes, so I would need to divide the Uncommitted 4531.9GiB by 3 correct? And that number/figure is what would be added manualy for each Volume, correct?

The other question I have, is there going to be any impact to the currect operation of our production VMWare Enviroment datastore?

Thank you so much for your assistance.

2 REPLIES 2
support_s
System Recommended

Query: MSA 2050 Storage Addition

System recommended content:

1. HPE MSA 2050 SAN Storage

Please click on "Thumbs Up/Kudo" icon to give a "Kudo".

Thank you for being a HPE valuable community member.

Accept or Kudo

giladzzz
Honored Contributor

Re: MSA 2050 Storage Addition

Hi

What you say is correct you increase each of your volumes by the amount you want

remember data on the MSA is thin provisioned so this increases your vmware datastores but 

does not take space from the MSA.

after that you need to extend the Datastores under Vmware to use the new space

this is non-disruptive to your vmware environment.

Regards

Give a KUDO if this helps