New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA2040 disk degraded - monitor disk

SOLVED
Go to solution
CRD
Valued Contributor

MSA2040 disk degraded - monitor disk

Good day

I am planning on doing MSA disk firmware updates but unit has had a hard drive that is degraded for a while now and the status is only showing as "monitor the disk".

I was wondering if when I do the disk firmware upgrades if this degraded disk will cause problems. Environment will be shutdown for the MSA disk firmware upgrades.

Perhaps should just go ahead and replace the degraded disk even though its not fully failed??

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Mahesh202
HPE Pro

Hi

Remove the disk which is showing monitor or degraded out of the array by 1-2 inches.

I believe it's part of a RAID disk group which is FTOL (Fault tolerant and online).
You may verify the disk group status using the below command:

"show disk-groups"

The global spare will kick in and the rebuild will start on the disk group

Then you may want to follow MSA 2040 disk drive firmware update best practices:

тАв Disk drive upgrades on the HP MSA 2040 storage systems is an offline process. All host and array I/O must be stopped
prior to the upgrade.

тАв If the drive is in a virtual disk, verify that it is not being initialized, expanded, reconstructed, verified, or scrubbed. If any
of these tasks is in progress, before performing the update wait for the task to complete or terminate it. Also, verify that
the background scrub is disabled so that it doesnтАЩt start. You can determine this using SMU or CLI interfaces. If using a
firmware smart component, it would fail and report if any of the above pre-requisites are not being met.

тАв Disk drives of the same model in the storage system must have the same firmware revision. If using a firmware smart
component, the installer would ensure all the drives are updated.

Hope this helps.!!

Regards
Mahesh.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

CRD
Valued Contributor

@Mahesh202 Hi Mahesh

Thanks for the response and advice, yes I see the Disk Groups is FTOL and there is Global Spares, but no 2TB Global spares though. The degraded disk is a 2TB disk.

Thanks

Disk View.pngDisk Groups.png

ArunKKR
HPE Pro
Solution

Hi,

You could execute the below commands and verify whether the degraded disk is reporting unrecovered medium errors or large number of recovered errors.

show system

show events

You could verify the events through SMU as well.

If the error event count is high ,replace the hdd before firmware upgrade.
The array should be healthy before performing any firmware upgrade.

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo