1755770 Members
3003 Online
108838 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: msa2040 - expansion enclosure problems

Theo_dor
Advisor

this morning i had all 25 drives installed , after that i tried with all drives pulled. also swaped cable from A to B on one side.
(the error with outgoing port was a colleague, now cabeling is correct)
i will do further testing tomorrow

Theo_dor
Advisor

inserted 1 drive , no change
( uploaded log )

BruceW
HPE Pro

It appears that the cabling is good now. I see a drive in slot 1 of the second enclosure. If you open the Webui, you should see that. The led's on the drive should be dark at this point because the drive is in available state (unconfigured)..  One thing we should try to avoid is to get upsupported drives in the array. You can now plug in drives without any shutdown, If a drive doesn't show up, you may want to check the link below.

https://h41111.www4.hpe.com/storage/msafirmware.html

The link above has a search window near the MSA drives section. If you paste the model of the drive in this search window, it should pull up the drive and current firmware if it is supported in any MSA. from 2040, 2050, and 2060.

I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Theo_dor
Advisor

ok , i will try some other drives and configure a pool
(will take some days , because this msa is in a remote location)

BTW: the enclosure is a AJ840A may this be a problem ?
controller & firemware are identical with aj941a

BruceW
HPE Pro

Certainly it could make a difference.  AJ840A is actually a HPE M6625 2.5-INCH SAS DRIVE ENCLOSURE. As you noticed the hardware is the same as a D2700. Because you managed to get 0149 firmware on the enclosure, it will likely work with the MSA.  This enclosure was used in some of the older EVA solutions..

I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Theo_dor
Advisor

tomorrow i will test an other d2700 unit with a single disk eg0600fblsh
any sugestions what to test else ?

BruceW
HPE Pro

I would recommend you power down the controller shelf.  Shutdown both controllers, when the blue led is on both controlllers, disconnect the power cables on the controller shelf only. Then add the 3rd shelf with no drives installed. Plug in power cables on controller shelf, allow time for both controllers to come up. Add drives to these  shelves after the system is up.

I'm an HPE employee.
Accept or Kudo
Theo_dor
Advisor

i would remove/replace the 2nd enclosure with the new one . ( not add a 3rd)

BruceW
HPE Pro

I'm assuming you haven't configured any drives in the current add/on enclosure.. If this is true, my recommendations are the same but after powering down, you would add the step to disconnect the second enclosure, then replace this with the other enclosure. 

I'm an HPE employee.
Accept or Kudo

@BruceW  problem still the same
what i did today on a different msa2040
- shutdown from webinterface
- wait for blue LED
- disconnect power

- power on a new replacement AJ941A without disks
- connect with new sas cables  (both controllers to P1 / left port)
- connect power to MSA
- wait , login

see same old problem  "some but not all of the PHY lanes ......"

so i have this problems with 3 different MSA , tried 3 pairs of cables , tried 3 different expansion enclosures
maybe a firmware issue ? all msa are on GL225P002-02

added a disk to the empty enclosure , made no difference