MSA Storage
1758673 Members
2205 Online
108874 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Unable to add new storage to servers

JimP_1

Unable to add new storage to servers

Hi, I am having a bit of a problem adding new SAN drives to a pair of new servers. The hosts are both zoned and see the HSV's and the Tape libraries, however I am unable to get the servers to see the drive storage that has been created for them.

adapter rescan does not show them up. lssd shows no entries and lssg gives me ./lssg: line 203: 12634 Floating point exception$SCSI_INFO /dev/sg${i} >/dev/null 2>/dev/null

Both servers are HP Proliant DL580 G4 with Redhat ES4 loaded. The HBA's are using generic qlogic drivers.

Has anyone run across this problem or have a solution?

Thanks in advance.
3 REPLIES 3
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Did you present the virtual disk(s) to the hosts and did you make sure that all adapter WWNs are added to the host entries? Can you see the virtual disk entries if you check with the adapter firmware?

I recommend that you replace the generic QLogic device drivers with the correct HP-branded ones. The generic ones might not have the correct parameters and/or know to properly do a path failover.
JimP_1

Thanks Uwe I will try that, this is the first time I have come across such an issue and this must be our 40th addition to the SAN storage so it just seemed a little odd.

Unsure what you mean about checking from the firmware, but everything on command view is okay from what I can tell.

I will post an update when I have tried this out.

Thanks
JimP_1

Replacing the drivers with the emulex ones off of HP's website did sort out the unseen drive issue, but the fibre utils installed broke the functionality of both lssd & lssg they both reported an FPU error. Downgrading to the 2.1-5 utils sorted that out.

I can now mount the drives, but the drivers are no longer failover drivers and the documentation is absent in the downloaded driver pack. Not a big issue, but looks untidy.

JimP