New Discussion юеВ

HP OBDR start from tape

SOLVED
Go to solution
peter demus
Frequent Advisor

HP OBDR start from tape

Hello !

i created a one button disaster recovery tape with drive DAT40 on LC2000-server. if i turn on the server while pressing the knob on the tape drive there is the tape listed like a hard drive with C/H/S.

how can i boot from the tape. the system will directly boot from the RAID-5 netraid drive. i CAN boot from disk or CD if i change the settings in the BIOS setup.

i tried to set "Boot: YES" from "NO" for the tape ID in the SymBios SCSI menu, however, the table is not changeable.

what i have to do to start from tape ? i would like to test the ability to recover from tape without disks.

ciao pete
jepp!
2 REPLIES 2
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: HP OBDR start from tape

Need to access F2 BIOS setup and make the CD-ROM the first bootable device. Then:
hold in the EJECT button of the tape drive as the server is booting until the tape drive green light is flashing.
Holding in the EJECT button makes the computer think that the tape drive is the CD-ROM, and it will then boot from tape drive if there is a "bootable" tape installed.
If you still have problems, tell us what OS and Backup software you are using...
peter demus
Frequent Advisor

Re: HP OBDR start from tape

hi !

oh i forgot, it's a cdrom emulation, yes. too easy

thanks

sure, yes the tape LED is flashing after pressing eject while switching on.

another question:
in a tc4100 netserver there is a HP DLT drive "BENCHMARK DLT1" HP VS80i. i though that this drive in ODBR-enabled. i can't create "HP ODBR" backup tape with microlight backupEDGE running Linux.
however, backupEDGE was able to write ODBR tape with DAT40 drive an lc2000 running Linux.

what's wrong ? firmware problem ? i used the DLT tape comming with the machine. tapeware for Linux can't create ODBR tape backup.

ciao peter

jepp!