4315 Online
108831 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Matching P III 500 CPU's for LH3

Timothy Ma
Advisor

Matching P III 500 CPU's for LH3

Hello there,

I have a question regarding my LH3. I purchased a couple of P III 500 Mhz and even though they have the correct cache size and bus speed, I remember someone recommending that I get matching CPU's. I tried installing them and I got blue screened on NT 4 server. Then the OS started to boot only as a single CPU processor operating system. It boots fine... no errors but I noticed that from the Phenoix BIOS Configuration Screen the 2 CPU's are found and are 500 MHz and the cache sizing is correct but I noticed that the 1 CPU microcode is 0000005 and the 2 CPU microcode is "EMPTY". Could this because of a faulty CPU or an "UNMATCHED" set. One set is manufactured in Malay and the other in the Philipines.

I re-installed the old P II's and it boots up perfectly. I was wondering if I should return the CPU's or what should I do. Thanks Timothy
3 REPLIES 3
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Matching P III 500 CPU's for LH3

hi
just try to update the firmware to last version for LH3, thic could correct the problem of some new stepping of processors.
a stepping problem usualy is dispayed at boot time.
be also sure to have in place all the VRM needed for full processor configuration.
check olso in the SEL (system Event Log) if there is some error logged when installing the four processors

bye
marino
Timothy Ma
Advisor

Thanks Meloni,

I have only two processors (PIII 500's)not four. If I updated the BIOS, would this do. I know I'm up to B .04.06.31 which I was told would be OK.

The thing that puzzles me, the Pheniox BIOS Configuration tells me it sees both CPU's but the micorcode for the second CPU is empty. What does this mean? Also when you say updating the firmware do you mean the BIOS??

Thanks for all your help. Timothy
Timothy Ma
Advisor

I forgot to reply to second half of your response...I have 2 VRM's already and I was told they should be fine (both 2.0 Volts) and they work well with both the P II's that I want to replace.