Netservers
1758038 Members
2458 Online
108867 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Netserver LC2000r and NetRAID 2M card - blank screen

Dave Connelly_1

Netserver LC2000r and NetRAID 2M card - blank screen

I've got a Netserver LC2000r (D9165A) that I just purchased a brand new NetRAID 2M card (P3475A) for.

On the initial bootup with NetRAID card, the server hung. I shut the machine down and attempted to reboot. Now, with every attempted reboot - the screen is black. I swapped out monitors suspecting that was the problem. No luck. I added a PCI video card and got the same results.

I even tried clearing the CMOS and the emergency recovery option via the dip switches on the motherboard to no avail.

Only when I remove the new NetRAID card, the server boots fine. I can't determine if my problem is a bad card, or possible conflict of some sort. What colors should the lights on the NetRAID card be? Mine are all red.

Any ideas or suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks in advance.
3 REPLIES 3
e4services
Honored Contributor

Re: Netserver LC2000r and NetRAID 2M card - blank screen

Dave, you have done the right things so far. The system should have reset the PCI bus when you used the DIP switch clear, but it would seem that there is a PCI conflict.
Did you try another PCI slot with the card?
If it still will not allow the systemboard to POST then there is either a problem with the 2M or the system.
What happens if you put the PCI Video card in the same slot the 2M was in?
If that works, then I would suspect the card (the 2M is bad anyway). Get a new modern controller from Adaptec, one with some read/write memory, the processor speed is faster, the memory will increase the RAID write speeds by 80 times and you possibly could support up to u320 if you use u320 drives and cable.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Dave Connelly_1

Thanks for the response. To answer your question, yes, I have tried the 2M in both of the larger PCI slots with the same result. I haven't tried the PCI video card in either, however.

It's interesting. I have made a little progress since my post, but once again have run up against a brick wall.

After multiple attempts, in various configurations (2M in different slots, cables connected and disconnected, with the PCI video card and without) I was able to get the server to post with the 2M card installed. I found that with the card "tipped", or not completely seated, I was able to get by this issue. However, now the server has been sitting for over 12 hours at "scanning SCSI devices" at 96% and the fixed drive light repeatedly flashing. I've left it overnight hoping that in the morning I might be pleasantly surprised. But, no go, it is still stuck at 96% and the drive light is still blinking.

Any idea what the LED lights on the 2M card represent? All attempts to boot the server initially, the single LED on the front of the card was red, and all 8 on the back were red as well. However, right now, after the server successfully posted, the one on the front is not illuminated, and only the 4 furthest from the back of the server are red.

I'll look into a card from Adaptec, but I suspect it will be more than what I would like to invest into this server, especially without a guarantee that it will solve the problem. Can you recommend an Adaptec card that would be compatible with D9165A?

Thanks again!
Sean T. Craig
Honored Contributor

Hi Dave,

Here's a few more things you can try:

1. Remove the 2M card and clear the CMOS using the dip switch. After clearing it, go back into the BIOS and load setup defaults with .

2. Remove the Cache Module from the 2M card and see if it will POST without. Do this without attaching any drives to it. It should give an error that the cache module is missing. If it still doesn't POST with no cache module and no drives attached, then the card is bad. If it POST's fine, reseat the cache module but leave the drives disconnected and see if you can go into Express Tools. Then start adding drives one at a time while you are in Express Tools, rescanning between each one.

Let us know what happens,

Sean T. Craig Sr. C.E.T., M.C.P.

I am King...of my apartment.