Netservers
1756571 Members
2902 Online
108848 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Netserver LX(e) Pro DIMM memory type - is it EDO or SDRAM ?

Phil_J
Occasional Advisor

Netserver LX(e) Pro DIMM memory type - is it EDO or SDRAM ?

Hello,
I am somewhat clueless if that server is capable of handling SDRAM DIMMs with a DIMM-memory card - the support team hadn't any information on that handy - could anyone help me out ?

If someone remembers, in case your Netserver had a memory card with 32 slots - that's the DIMM board - in case there were rather thin (flat) chips on it (with -10 or -8 written on it) - it's most likely SDRAM - in case there were rather "fat" chips on it, marked with "-60" - or "-70" it was most likely EDO/FPM RAM - many thanks for any clues

-Jan
7 REPLIES 7
amhakassa
Honored Contributor

Re: Netserver LX(e) Pro DIMM memory type - is it EDO or SDRAM ?

Hi Jan,

Yes you can have DIMMs with an extender board. Here is the part# you are looking for
D4968A 512MB DIMM KIT FOR LXe/r/pro

Regards
Amha Kassa
amhakassa
Honored Contributor

Hi Jan,

This is the other part# you might need too
D4967A 4GIG MEM EXTENDER BOARD FOR LX e/r/PRO

Regards
Amha Kassa
Phil_J
Occasional Advisor

Many thanks for the replies so far Amha Kassa, our administration support has such a card handy - and I am about to order it, however - the main thing that concerns me is:
Is the card is for *SDRAM* type dimms - since in case it's EDO memory - we basically could stick with the PS/2 card - performance wise, despite of the capacity I wouldn't expect any difference. - Maybe I got the reply wrong - but can you remember if the memory was SDRAM (PC66 / 10ns SDRAM - the common type of memory, available up to these days at almost every computer shop) or if it is EDO ram - with 60nanoseconds access / refresh time ?

Is it EDO/Fastpage memory, or SDRAM memory on those DIMMs -
That's what is troubling me at the moment.

If someone remembers the outlook of those memory modules - if the chips were not much thicker than a credit card - that should be the modern SDRAM, if it is rather as thick as a chocolate bar - and the chips rather soldered in a disordered fashion (a few horizontally/the rest vertically)- that's EDO.

Many thanks for any information onto this

-Jan
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

Looked at all available memory specifications and it simply does not say...given the age of this system I would very much doubt it is SDRAM. :)
Phil_J
Occasional Advisor

Yes, thanks Terri Harris, I start to doubt it too - I just glimpsed at some modules for a HP Netserver LX 8000 that were laying aroung, and, despite of that the memory chips on the board are just as flat as the SDRAM kind used these days, it was clearly labeled as 3.3volt EDO RAM.
Since the 8000 was build after the LX Pro 6 - I guess the DIMMs used in that box are the, now rare 3.3volts 168pin EDO DIMMs.

We wanted to give it 4GB of ram - however, when it's 3.3v EDO - maybe it won't be worth considering - since for that price we could get a new server ;)

Many thanks for the info

-Jan
amhakassa
Honored Contributor

Hi Jan,

Would you assign a mark according to how important was the reply we made to you?

Regards
Amha Kassa
Robbert Erents

Goodmorning!

I'm getting pretty desperate, so I'm giving it a shot in here as well.

For the past 6 months I've been scraping together my own Netserver LXpro. He is Mature now, weighing about 83 kg's. 4xCPU, 12x4.3G HD's, original NetRAID, 3xPSU's etc etc. The only thing that's holding this Animal down is the 192mb of RAM. It now consists of 12x16mb ECC simm (D4891A) on the SImm-board (D4262). My question is: does ANYONE have some spare parts for this? And then specific: 128mb (D4893A) 64mb (D4290A) or the DIMM board (D4967A) with EDO DIMM's included or not. Maybe these parts are on someone's shelf, collecting dust etc etc.

I really hope to get this machine up and running. I love it!

Robbert Erents
The Netherlands