1751894 Members
5098 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

PCI System Error

Jay Yancey

PCI System Error

On an LC2000 we are receiving the following error on a novell box. PCI System error on Bus\Device\Function 0078h. When this occurs the server is dead. We must power off and restart. If anyone has a clue let me know.
22 REPLIES 22
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Re: PCI System Error

hi
i don't know Novell, but a pci error usualy is caused by a card added in the server, try to look in the event log hardware throught the cd-navigator, and check if you have info about the bus and/or slot,
if you don't have any card on the pci bus, probably the problem is on the mother board.
bye
marino
Christian Deveau

I have the identical problem that has been occuring on my Novell 5.1 SP3 box. It started about 4 weeks ago. This weekend i just went through and updated all the BIOS, controller and hard disk firmwares hoping that it would fix the problem (suggested by HP). Unfortunately, I had the server crash again tonight. Finding an answer to this would be real sweet. Sooner or later my server will not come back up. Only thing left for me to try is take out the second NIC we put in it for redundancy and see how that works.
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

See the following HP web site:
http://netserver.hp.com/support/trouble/event_query/event_query2.asp
Look for Event Code # 01905: PCI System Error. Click on "View Advisory" for information on this error. It does indicate a defective PCI card.
Barbara Gash

We are having the same problem in our High School. We also have a Novell 5.1 server, service pack 3 and also have had several server lock ups on the LC2000R. The same error "PCI System Error on Bus/Device/Function 0078h". My HP authorized warranty provider has updated all the patches and drivers. I am not convinced this is going to fix the problem. I think the motherboard needs to be replaced. They have assured me that if this doesn't work, they will replace it. Any thoughts?
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

What (if any) PCI cards are installed in the Netserver?
This error can be generated by older PCI cards which are not PCI 2.1 compliant. HP cards such as the Mylex controller would be an example.
Jay Yancey

I have replaced motherboard and the netraid controller. It is not hardware related.

Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

hi all
one of his error was solved flashing the bios and then performing a clear CMOS, try this step and let me know

bye
marino
Greg Carlson
Honored Contributor

Has the resolution to this issue been discovered? The PCI error in Novell points to the device on Bus 0 which on the LC2000 is PCI slots 1,2 ** I've seen this call as of 3/27/02 and the symptoms are all the same except the hex address is 0075H instead of 0078H. 3com nic in PCI slot 1 and NetRaid1si in slot 5. All bios, fw and drivers updated as of today. We are going to try moving the NIC to Bus 1 and slot 4 or 6. System board was already replaced. Running NW 5.1 sp3

Check out this reference.. http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%22pci+system+error+on+bus%22&hl=en&selm=VA.00003e39.009388eb%40myrealbox.com&rnum=1

Ciao,
Greg
Lets Roll!
Tony Marriott

I have the same problem here. LC2000r, running Novell 5.1. It has twice stopped now with PCI system error bus/device/function 0078H

There is no device in the slot (10005). I do have an additional PCI net (TX) card running load balancing/fault tolerance. A netraid 3SI is used for the external raid array. Is this also the case with JAY?. It seems to be with CHRISTIAN.

The server software was originaly built on feb 17. errors occured 5 and 9 of April. System bios was flashed prior to the software build.

JAY/CHRISTIAN/BARBERA - is your problem solved?

Tony