Operating System - HP-UX
1754180 Members
3212 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

rlogin and remsh working but remsh xxx "/usr/bin/who" and rcp replies "remshd: Login incorrect."

DownHillTrader
Frequent Visitor

rlogin and remsh working but remsh xxx "/usr/bin/who" and rcp replies "remshd: Login incorrect."

We have an anoying issue between a couple of our systems (HP-UX 11v31 1303 [yes I know it's out of date! ;-)] ) running rcp.

I have a .rhosts file (and /etc/hosts.equiv)

I can rlogin/remsh from "sc0off2L" to "sc0pos1L" without entering a password but: -

(1) remsh sc0pos1L "/usr/bin/who"

(2) rcp /etc/issue sc0pos1L:/tmp

returns "remshd: Login incorrect."

if I become root all seems to work .. which suggests a permisssions problem of some sort! although the fact I can rlogin/remsh probably means it's not an obvious candidate ...

We are currently running a couple on tusc(s) of inetd to see where a working rcp and a failed one changes path but I thought I'd ask a friend (English tv Show) if there are any places to start! 

2 REPLIES 2
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: rlogin and remsh working but remsh xxx "/usr/bin/who" and rcp replies "remshd: Lo

> I can rlogin/remsh from "sc0off2L" to "sc0pos1L" without entering a password but:

> (1) remsh sc0pos1L "/usr/bin/who"

Both of these are using the same user and the second fails?

DownHillTrader
Frequent Visitor

Re: rlogin and remsh working but remsh xxx "/usr/bin/who" and rcp replies "remshd: Lo

yes, same ID  .. when run as root it works and when we tusc inetd we can see a different path so it's a permissions problem .. we're working our way down /var at present ;-)