108832 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Temporary files not opened by any user and cannot purge

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kee_aus
Occasional Contributor

Temporary files not opened by any user and cannot purge

I have a disk full of temporary files #* that are not opened. FUP LISTOPENS shows nothing and I cannot purge them. Anyone knows what to do? They don't belong to super super. Just created by a noprmal user.

4 REPLIES 4
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Re: Temporary files not opened by any user and cannot purge

Hi,

If required to delete these files, you configure to remove them using cron.
You may delete if you are certain that these files are not required.

Thank You!
I work with HPE but opinions expressed here are mine.
HPE Tech Tips videos on How To and Troubleshooting topics

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Kee_aus
Occasional Contributor

@Suman_1978 Not sure what you mean, this is NonStop Guardian not HP/UX Unix. You mean cron as in the unxi scheduler?

Kee_aus
Occasional Contributor
Solution

For the benefit of this forum. This is DP2 bug.

HPE provided a workaround by switching the primary process of $DISK to the alternate CPU. Then wait a few minutes for the unopened temp files to get purged automatically and switch the primary process back.

The bug was that when CLEARONPURGE is set on a permanent file and a purge file is initiated, DP2 will rename the permanent file to a temporary file and zero out the freed pages. After which this temp file should get dropped. DP2 didnтАЩt do this last step.

Steps:

To check for temporary files, do

VOLUME $DISK

FUP INFO #*

You should find that all temp files are opened, else this is the issue as described.

To fix this, re-primary the DP2 process, wait a few minutes, check that the temp files are purged and then switch the primary process.

STATUS $DISK

To remove such temp files is to have a planned takeover for the volume.

SCF PRIMARY DISK $DISK

STATUS $DISK

Wait a few minutes

FUP INFO #*

Once the temp files are automatically purged, the Primary DP2 can be switched back to the original CPU by another

SCF PRIMARY DISK $DISK

Sunitha_Mod

Hello @Kee_aus,

Perfect! 

We are glad to know the problem has been resolved and we appreciate you for keeping us updated. 

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo