Operating System - HP-UX
1755348 Members
4684 Online
108831 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

A 32bit application impacted by maxdsiz_64 ??

Camel_1
Valued Contributor

A 32bit application impacted by maxdsiz_64 ??

I have a rp8400 server running hpux11i 64bit, a program is a 32bit application, if the maxdsiz_64 is smaller than maxdsiz the job failed when trying to allocation memory, if increased the maxdsiz_64 to a higher value than works okay. What is the possible cause of the problem? Is 32bit application refer to 64bit kernel parameter also?

Thanks.
2 REPLIES 2
James Murtagh
Honored Contributor

Re: A 32bit application impacted by maxdsiz_64 ??

Hi Simon,

Yes, it will be. If you have a 64bit kernel the system parent process, init, is spawned with the 64bit limits. Every process created is a decendant of init hence during a fork() the lesser of the virtual memory limits are inherited, even for 32bit processes. This counts for maxtsiz and maxssiz too - this post has a bit more info :

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=210579

Cheers,

James.
T. M. Louah
Esteemed Contributor

Re: A 32bit application impacted by maxdsiz_64 ??

maxdsiz if a boundary to data segment of executing 32bit processes, this should be made large enough to accomodate ur application (vendors should recommend the tunables for their application to run correctly on HPUX) now my question, was the application compiled with 64bit libraries ?? you need to go bk to the code & debug where 64bit system calls are made ...

cheers,
Little learning is dangerous!