1755651 Members
2828 Online
108837 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: A good system

Stephen Gerstacker
Occasional Contributor

A good system

We had our Unix admin leave and left us with the network. The only experience we have is my linux experience. We've been installing HP-UX for practice and have a good knowledge of it. The boxes in the state they are in know are terrible. So, we wanted to upgrade them and start fresh. We use these boxes for I-Deas 8m4 only. Can someone suggest a good setup on these boxes. They are B1000/2000 and C3000/3600. We have a good set of HP-UX 11i disks. Any help is greatly appreciated
7 REPLIES 7
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Stephen,

what is: "I-Deas 8m4"??

First thing, before reinstalling anything is to get gnu tar and install it and backup the systems TWICE:

http://hpux.connect.org.uk/hppd/hpux/Gnu/tar-1.13.25/

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Stephen Gerstacker
Occasional Contributor

I-Deas 8m4 is the SDRC CAD software. Engineering stuff. We aren't worried about the boxes because all the engineering files are on file servers.
John Carr_2
Honored Contributor

Stephen

if you are not running hpux 11i at present have you checked to see that 11i is supported for your applications ?

scondly if your hpux knowledge is limited to installations then keep it simple and it might be a good idea to see if you can source a spare server to build and test before trashing a production server

cheers
John.

harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Stephen,

Will your software run on 11i in 64bit mode? Because 64bit is your only choice with those servers you have listed. You will have to check with your software vendor.

Once you have two good backups, then you can proceed to INSTALL the new OS. DON'T attempt an upgrade, because it will mostly likely fail (99.999% of the time).

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Mark Vollmers
Esteemed Contributor

Stephan-

For starters, check out the CAD specs; they may require either hardware or software to run. Secondly, besides HP, you can go with a number of basic software items, like gnzip. You will have to setup printers if needed after install. As far as config, you'll need to have users, groups, etc. If these were setup before, you can just take the old files, otherwise, set'em up new. You will need to decide about things like NFS/NIS and DNS to make sure that these machines fit in with the rest of your network. Beyond the hp-ux, any other software is really dependent upon what you are doing on these machines. It's kinda generic, but so much is dependent upon your needs and current setup.

Mark
"We apologize for the inconvience" -God's last message to all creation, from Douglas Adams "So Long and Thanks for all the Fish"
rick jones
Honored Contributor

on the boxes listed, 11.0 also runs the kernel in 64-bit mode, so 11i versus 11.0 is not an issue in _that_ area.

indeed, 10.20 would run on those boxes (iirc), and thus would be a 32-bit kernel.

of course, one can indeed run 32-bit apps on a 64-bit kernel. the only issue would be if the application has some sort of kernel component - I've not heard of any CAE/CAD stuff that had kernel components though.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Bruno Dostie
Advisor

did you try to take some informations on supported platforms at:
http://www.eds.com/products/plm/ideas/

maybe you can find interesting things on this site about IDEAS and supported platforms and applications

or 800-955-0000 support center.

Regards
DOSB